Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsteinbrunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Just got an ipod touch 2nd gen as a gift and found that it would not connect to my wifi but would get on open networks, After some troubleshooting I found that it was able to connect to my router if I set it to run on WPA but when I put it back on WPA2 it would fail. I happened to have a new iPhone available to test with and it was able to connect to my WPA2 network though.

I called Apple Care and they confirmed that the iPhone would work and the original iPod Touch would work but the new iPod Touch does not support WPA2. It seems out of left field that it does not just work considering the new iPhone has it and the old iPod touch has it. Will this be resolved in a software update?

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Just got an ipod touch 2nd gen as a gift and found that it would not connect to my wifi but would get on open networks, After some troubleshooting I found that it was able to connect to my router if I set it to run on WPA but when I put it back on WPA2 it would fail. I happened to have a new iPhone available to test with and it was able to connect to my WPA2 network though.

I called Apple Care and they confirmed that the iPhone would work and the original iPod Touch would work but the new iPod Touch does not support WPA2. It seems out of left field that it does not just work considering the new iPhone has it and the old iPod touch has it. Will this be resolved in a software update?

i think it might just be a few ppl, cuz my ipods runnin smooth on my WPA2 (although apple mite allow it 2 only work on the time capsule and air port)

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
So WPA2 is the most secure consumer-level wireless set-up, and the iPod touch doesn't work on it? That seems odd.

biikman

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008

WPA2 working just fine on my Netgear WRT824. I was a bit surprised since I do recall it being mentioned somewhere that it wouldn't work with WPA2.

jakamph

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
I have a D-Link DI-624 router and my iPod touch 2g will connect at WPA, but not WPA2

liferules

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Ditto. WPA2 is working fine for me at work as well. I think they may have gotten their information wrong...

Tinlad

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I switched my wireless network (Netgear WPN824) over from WPA to WPA2 a couple of days ago and my 2G touch connects to it without a problem.

seeny

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
about 2 weeks ago i replaced my 1g touch with a 2g touch and had no problem connecting to my rooter using wpa2, i even posted here saying i wasn’t having a problem, wasn’t until tonight when i got home and it wouldn't connect, my 1g which i still have connected ok
long story short the only way i could get it to connect again using wpa2 was to do the following

set my rooter to wep them get my 2g touch to connect, it connected

then set my rooter to wpa, it connected

then set my rooter to wpa2, it then connected

what’s going on apple should i just get my money back, in the uk if you buy something and it’s not suitable for purpose your entitled to your money back

must say i wish i hadn’t got the 2g, no wonder there’s loads of people selling them on ebay? :mad:

RC-DC

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
I have a D-Link DI-624 router and my iPod touch 2g will connect at WPA, but not WPA2

Make sure your router firmware is updated. I have the same router and was having the same problem. My firmware was older, and the patch fixed this problem:

¤ Fixed wpa/wpa2 psk cannot get ip issue.

iPOd Touch 2G connects fine with WPA2 now. The firmware fix also added a few features to the router and fixed some other bugs.

Feralhog

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2009
NH
I recently purchased an iPod Touch, 2nd Gen and it will not connect to WPA2. It doesn't seem to even "see" the network when I attempt to manually connect. The laptop sitting right next to it connects flawlessly. Yes, I have the latest updates installed (2.2.1 (5H11a). At least I think that's the latest.

It's not my network so I guess I can't really complain about it. We have permission to access the network but I can't ask them to go back to WEP.

PawnTakesKing

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
must say i wish i hadn’t got the 2g, no wonder there’s loads of people selling them on ebay? :mad:

I think those "loads of people" are probably selling them because they can't be jailbroken...

Anyway, my 2G touch connects fine to WPA2.

firedragon76

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
I just found this thread since I had trouble connecting my iPod Touch 2G to my router after upgrading from WEP to WPA2. I think the problem was that my iPod still remembered my network as WEP and therefore it refused to connect and it did not give me options. The trick is to push the blue with white arrow button and then select "Forget this Network". After that you can select your network again and fill out the password and it connects without troubles to WPA2 or whatever network security you changed your router to.

It would be great if Apple would fix this issue. It's a glitch in the OS in my opinion.

I hope this is useful for those who stumble upon this thread with the same problem.

mikeyLA

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
los angeles
found this thread thru google, same reason, upgraded from WEP to WPA2 and ipod would not connect

thanks for the info! i reconnected and it worked.

--Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.