Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
I imagine someone will eventually come up with stickers/vinyl wrap to cover up the orange action button, but I got a little impatient waiting for it. I happen to have some Matt black automotive vinyl wrap, so I cut a piece, stuck in on the watch, heated with a heat gun to get its shape (scary), then used a sharp x-acto knife to cut around the button.

Not bad for my first try, one corner is a little messed up, but for now, I think it will work. It will be interesting to see how well it sticks over time. Maybe if I get a chance, I’ll see if I can fix that corner (I may have to start over).

The nice thing about the wrap is that it is completely reversible, and you can find multiple colors pretty easily. You can buy a few sheets of automotive wrap on Amazon pretty cheap.

If you do this yourself be Very Careful with the heat gun or hairdryer. You don’t want to overdo it and crack the screen, or somehow damage the watch.

603EBA41-15F5-4CAF-86DA-989298C798BA.jpeg

Reactions: Howard2k

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
In the near future when Apple no longer puts color on the Action button (or gasp, no longer includes an Action button) there will be posts on MR about the days when the Action button was orange and you will hit like on those posts, but some of us will remember that you truly did not like it.

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
In the near future when Apple no longer puts color on the Action button (or gasp, no longer includes an Action button) there will be posts on MR about the days when the Action button was orange and you will hit like on those posts, but some of us will remember that you truly did not like it.

Nah, orange just isnt my color. Red, would work, or blue, so does black. Just not orange.

I removed my first attempt and tried it again. Looks better. Here are a few more photos:

51BF38E9-7D47-4321-A843-70BC70630644.jpeg
CB6B9D23-C4D5-4E21-A3C3-5F0A66129D31.jpeg
95AA8EA9-0BFA-4A90-B3F7-FA2AFDE226C7.jpeg
DE4EAE23-4415-4388-A10D-471C71492B9A.jpeg
209D0E7D-648D-479F-8ACF-9910756682CC.jpeg
D07D55C0-7509-49C8-A706-C71764D7724B.jpeg

Reactions: Blowback

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Nah, orange just isnt my color. Red, would work, or blue, so does black. Just not orange.

I removed my first attempt and tried it again. Looks better. Here are a few more photos:
Something about black makes it look like a hole to me. I think yellow tape that matches the Ocean band might look good.

Reactions: xDKP

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
Curious how long it will last, with day to day wear...

I don’t know. Its automotive wrap- I used it to wrap the emblem on my daughters car a few years ago and it’s still holding up. Hopefully will last on the button. But the button will get pressed a lot, so it may not hold up. We’ll see.

Something about black makes it look like a hole to me. I think yellow tape that matches the Ocean band might look good.

Yellow would look cool too, but all I had was the matte black. It took some time to do, so I don’t know if I have the energy to try it again with a different color.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Personally I think that’s a bit extreme but it’s your watch so you do you. I don’t mind the orange button and I can see why Apple chose that colour. Plus the way I wear my watch it’s on the inside on my wrist so I can hardly see it. I’ll stick with it rather than try and change it myself and potentially damage and ruin my watch.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Nice! I also hate that orange on the button.

I wanted to cover my Action Button with a decal or something but since the button isn’t flat, I didn’t think any companies would ever make one.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
The button is surrounded by a flexible gasket, so crafters be careful where you put those sharp blades.

I always wear the crown facing inward, so I never see the action button on my watch. The view of the crown and side button is very pleasing to me, so give that a try if the orange button truly bothers you.

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
That black tape will not age well.

Its not black tape, it’s 3M automotive wrap. As I said in a post earlier, I don’t know how long it will last. However, if it starts to look bad, it just peels off and you are back to original. That’s the nice thing about it, completely reversible.

The button is surrounded by a flexible gasket, so crafters be careful where you put those sharp blades.

I always wear the crown facing inward, so I never see the action button on my watch. The view of the crown and side button is very pleasing to me, so give that a try if the orange button truly bothers you.

Good point! You don’t have to go deep with the blade, just barely scoring the wrap. You definitely want to be careful when doing this. Not for the faint of heart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.