Wraps to protect leading edge of MBA??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by emaja, Oct 30, 2013.

1. emaja macrumors 68000

The last 4 Macs I have owned all had what looked like pitting or corrosion on them top of the edge on the front edge of the wrist rest right where my hands touch. It is not bad, but certainly detracts from the looks and even the resale value since it is not flawless - like the rest of it is.

Question is this - are there any wraps that would cover the palm/wrist rest, go down the front edge and then wrap to cover the bottom as well. It will have to be one piece so there are no gaps.

If not, any suggestions for what I can make myself? I have used clear wrapping tape but it just looks terrible and obviously leaves residue.

2. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

3. emaja thread starter macrumors 68000

Those are nice and while I don't mind the price, I do mind the bulk.

What I want is something similar to an iPhone screen protector that just wraps the front edge. If I thought those would stick, I'd give them a try.

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

5. emaja thread starter macrumors 68000

YES! That's what I was looking for! I din't even think to look at car membranes.

Now that I know what to look for, it's time to find a clear one.

Thanks!

6. wsk macrumors newbie

wsk

Try http://www.bodyguardz.com

I have the carbon fiber but they have clear also.

7. emaja thread starter macrumors 68000

I use Bodyguardz on my iDevices and they are great. Not sure if I can wrap the material to cover the leading edge though.

I did find 3M door edge guards that sound like they will work. They have to be flexible enough to make a 90 degree bend around the edge of the door, so I am hoping they work.

8. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

How do you cover the corners neatly?

9. wsk macrumors newbie

wsk

Each cover has custom made splits at the corners that allow it to fit or strips to cover sides. But as stated above I don't think it actually covers the edge. That said, I haven't had any concerns with the edges getting marked.

I have the carbon fiber cover for the MBP. It covers top, bottom, sides (these are separate strips, and the keyboard wrist rests. I've been happy with it.

My first MBP, I actually went to an auto detailing shop and got some scraps of the window tint material to cover the keyboard wrist rest but the Bodyguardz cover is far better.

I always cover all my devices where its with a case (iPhone) clear shield or skin (iPad, mini and MBP).

Hope this helps.

10. emaja thread starter macrumors 68000

I only use the screen protector. I get the "case friendly" ones that are a little smaller to allow for sliding a case on and off.

11. jbzcar macrumors regular

12. emaja thread starter macrumors 68000

That is almost the exact same thing as the Elago one that I have been using. Unfortunately, it still leaves the leading edge exposed and I still got pitting.

I got the 3M door edge protection film today and got it applied. It was relatively easy and sticks nicely. It was relatively difficult to trim to fit the corners and the thumb cutout to raise the lid, but someone with more skill can probably do it better.

I will be using an Elago palm rest cover as well. I will re-apply the 3M stuff over that so that I can change it if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]