Wrapsol Installation Tips

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by E Male, Jun 2, 2010.

1. E Male macrumors member

Just purchased the Wrapsol for 13" MBP & was wondering if anyone had any good install tips.

2. jreale05 macrumors regular

Just installed mine last week on my 15". Don't be stingy with the application fluid. Make sure you follow the instructions and apply fluid to your hands/fingers as well. The more fluid you use the better. I made sure and covered all of my ports and squeegied all of the fluid away from the ports. The more fluid you put on, the easier it is to move around once you drop it on there. When I did the top (behind the screen) i put a towel above the keyboard and closed the top down, ensuring no water would leak on to the keypad or ports. The only tricky part for me was the bottom. The wrapsol is extremely flexible, so when it comes to the screwholes on the bottom of the computer, dont be afraid it they dont match perfectly when you first put it on. After you have it covering the four main bottom pegs, you can push/stretch the film to mold around the screwholes. Just make sure before you let it dry, that no pieces are covering the screwholes / sticking outside of the edge of the computer or else it could peel off or absord dust and other crap.

It is really not that hard of a process. It only took me about 45 min, and half of that was waiting for it to dry. there are some really helpful youtube vids as well if you need more help, which you shouldnt. Just be patient with it and you will be ok. I have 0 bubbles on mine and i was really paranoid after listening to everyone on here. If you have another person that can help you lower the film on evenly to avoid having to pick it up and drop it again and again on the computer, that is really helpful. My girlfriend helped with that and it worked out great.

Good luck, if you want pics of mine i can put them on when i get home from work. Not sure when you were planning on installing it.

3. E Male thread starter macrumors member

Putting that towel on the keyboard is a great idea! I would have never thought to do that but that's why I posted.

I checked you tube for videos but couldn't find anything on the install process. Most videos were time elapsed with little instruction. I was hoping to find someone giving step-by-step install with dialogue but couldn't find anything. Although many of the more recent videos did have multiple people assisting with the install so I'll have to take you advice there and get some help with the install.

How long does it take each piece to dry?

4. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Absolutely critical to do this in an area as free from dust, lint, and fibers as possible. Seriously. Once you peel the backing off the wrapsol, that stuff is stickier than fly paper and will pick up every little bit. I'd do this on a clean table top, tripled-washed to remove an trace of fibers, etc. and pay CLOSE attention to the clothes you're wearing to ensure they don't trasmit fibers or lint as well.

As others said, use liberal amounts of fluid, especially on your hands. Most important to get the wrapsol onto the machine, you don't have to worry about alignment at all. Once its on the surface, it slides really easily. Spray your fluid, including hands and fingers, peel the backing off, and get it down onto the machine ASAP. Then, slide it around for positioning. Don't worry if the corners don't initially stick. It will take 20-30 minutes for enough fluid to diffuse and evaporate before the corners start to bend down. Squeegee the excess fluid and bubbles out, and wait until each piece is reasonably adherant before moving to the next. Figure it will take about 2 hours to do the job right, and did I mention to be uber-careful about lint and fibers?

I'd do the bottom first (will show less if you make a mistake and get lint/fiber underneath), then the palm rest, and save the top for last.

5. E Male thread starter macrumors member

Just took out all the pieces and it looks like I have more than 1 piece for the track pad and the instructions are for an iphone/ipad. Can't really figure the trackpad piece out. It was stuck to another piece but when I pulled them apart nothing felt sticky. I don't' want to pull it apart and expose the tacky side just yet. UGH!!!!

6. darkserith macrumors newbie

I just got the wrapsol for the Macbook pro 13 today. It's so weird, the box came smashed, and the films are fine. However, one of the bottles is empty, and the other is only half filled

Will i be able to apply the wrapsol to my macbook pro 13 with only one bottle half filled with the liquid?

thanks

7. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

The bottles come half-full. You're supposed to top them off with water. And yes, you can do a MBP on only one bottle, but it will be a bit tight. For previous film applications, I've used Windex, but have no idea if this is a substitute fluid for Wrapsol. Given this, and with one empty bottle, you might want to put a bit of the fluid into the second bottle, and top both off. This will dilute it a bit more, but should work fine if I had to guess.

I didn't install the trackpad piece when I did my kit, didn't see the need (as the trackpad is coated glass, not subject to dents like the aluminum unibody).

8. darkserith macrumors newbie

Eh.. so what is the point of the fluid anyways?

Is the film itself already like a sticker? Hypothetically, what would happen if u applied the film without the liquid?

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

there would be ugly air bubbles and it would not be aligned properly. I know this because i have an invisible shield on my iphone and macbook pro (specs in sig). it is not a good idea to apply it without any fluid

10. andrew086 macrumors regular

hehe... my first one came smashed and one of the bottles had cracked and leaked all over the package.

11. trondah macrumors 6502

I applied my second InvisibleShield naked on the bathroom bench after carefully cleaning it. Still there was a few hairs that managed to get stuck on the IS after I applied it. Tried to remove them but then managed to get the IS stuck to itself a little bit. My GF had to help, but she wasn't naked and some fibers from her clothes got under there. Result was a few bubbles and hair :( It's really frustrating to apply these things, take 5 minutes to plan your every move is my advice :D And spray that thing like there's no tomorrow!

12. jreale05 macrumors regular

LOL. the bottles do NOT come half empty, and you do NOT top them off with water. You might be able to, but they are supposed to come full (mine did and so did all the youtubers) As for the trackpad, I didn't install that piece. And as for installing it naked, thats funny! I did mine on my kitchen table (with clothes on) and it came out just fine.

13. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

FAIL! The bottles *DO* come half-empty, and they *do* explicitly state to fill with water before use. Have you ever even used this stuff? Trolls...

Attached Files:

14. E Male thread starter macrumors member

sounds like installing the piece for the trackpad might not be necessary.

Did anyone else get instructions for an iphone/ipod?

15. trondah macrumors 6502

Yeah I didn't apply it to the trackpad either you want that smooth glass feeling. I only put on the top and bottom of the MB.

16. Betooo macrumors newbie

Betooo

thats odd because I just got my wrapsol kit from Amazon and the 2 bottles came completely full :confused:

17. andrew086 macrumors regular

you seem like a nice person to hang out with. mine came full, no text on sides besides wrapsol. you don't have to be a d*ck about it.

edit:
    I bought mine from amazon too... maybe it's the two different types of boxes (one is where you pull out like a normal box, other one is like a brochure)

Attached Files:

18. jreale05 macrumors regular

Well mine came full last week. lol. So maybe the different sizes or models are different. Don't understand why they would give two half full and not just one full one bottle. that makes absolutely no sense..

19. andrew086 macrumors regular

I actually got two full bottles. I think the point of the half filled bottles is that you'll get the equivalent amount of liquid (after filling both bottles you'll have two bottles of solution) because there is enough solution to fill the whole bottle.

20. E Male thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking about having the guy who tinted my car windows install this for me. Same concept right?

21. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I got two full bottles with mine.

Some tips after my install:

- put a large microfiber/cloth between the lid and the keyboard for when you do the top, that way the excess liquid goes straight onto the cloth and doesn't touch the edges or inside of the computer

- be careful peeling the palmrest piece off. the skinny portion of it stretches easily