Wrapsol Matte (original) - iPhone 4 - Solid!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sl1200mk2, Jun 30, 2010.

1. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Got my order for Wrapsol Matte (original) for iPhone 4 today. With all the negative reviews on Ultra I wanted to post for those interested in the matte finish. I had this previously on two different iPhones and loved it. Again, the kit came boxed well and in great condition. The original series doesn't seem to be suffering from the issues of the Ultra. Everything was well cut and packaged... didn't look 'rushed' or thrown together.

Install, even though it's wet (which I actually prefer) was simple and straight forward. I think the film will adhere very well and have no problems on the corners with the flat back of the i4 like it did sometimes with the previous rounded ones. I'm not 100% sold on the side protection. I've put it on for now and will see how it goes, but I'm not sure long term. I wish it had been cut just a millimeter wider.

What I'm most surprised with is the front screen protector. In past I hadn't applied them because I had used the PowerSupport Anti-Glare films and loved them. I actually have a pre-order in for one right now. I put the included film on for protection until the PS arrives, but I'm really happy with it so far! It doesn't attract finger prints like I thought it would and it still lets the Retina display look fantastic. I'm tempted to cancel my order for the PS Anti-Glare. Since it doesn't ship for a couple weeks I'm going to see how this one does. I never thought I would have liked the non-glare films, but this one has a really nice feel to it.

I just applied everything a couple hours ago, so I won't post any pictures. It'll be 24-48 hours before all the minor bubbles dry out, but I can already tell it's a good install. My plan is to use the Incipio Feather as well. Yes, I have iPhone OCD and strive to keep it pristine.

If you're thinking about Wrapsol don't be afraid to go with the original finish. They really do stand behind the products and I've taken advantage of the warranty before. I'm glad I went with them again.

2. mixedONE macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting this.

I placed an order for the original on the 22nd and I'm due to receive it this Friday. With all the negative accounts being posted here, I was getting a bit worried about my decision to go with Wrapsol...but your experience so far is giving me some hope!

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Looks like I made a mistake ordering the Ultra.. waiting to receive this Friday to see what I ended up with. Do you have a pictures? Considering getting the regular now.

4. sl1200mk2 thread starter macrumors 6502

No pictures right now. I'd wait a day or two for the film to dry. There's some small bubbles (totally normal) that need to clear up.

There's some good examples in other threads though -

Here's one

There's another really nice couple of outdoor shots in a thread, but I can't find them at the moment. If you look through the various Wrapsol iphone 4 posts you'll find them. I'm sure they are cross posted a couple times.

5. silversx macrumors regular

is the front screen protector static cling like power support or is it wet application like the back

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I loved the 3GS Matte Wrapsol, that stuff stood up forever. They failed hard on the other version but I'm not surprised the matte version is still really good. Seems they have that perfected and are new to the clear finish skin game.

7. sl1200mk2 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a wet application like the back. I'm really liking it though. I think people are afraid of the wet application, but I've found it allows me to take my time and position things a little bit better. Sure, you have to wait for all the bubbles to come out, but I only installed about 5 hours ago and I'd say I'm 70% there. It's looking really good.

I'm strongly considering cancelling my PS anti-glare order or at minimum seeing if I can switch it to the crystal (clear) finish. I'm that happy with this screen and I thought I'd never like any of the crystal or shiny finishes. I'll see how much more it clears up and looks over the weekend.

8. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear a positive review of the original Wrapsol. Mine is coming tomorrow and while I am definitely going to apply the back piece I still have reservations about the front. I think a matte front piece would make the screen look fuzzy...kind of like the matte screen covers that are sold for the MacBook Pros, which IMO look terrible. The crystal PowerSupport films are totally clear so I like them.

9. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I installed the orig yesterday evening. The back looks great but the front still has tons of micro bubbles. It's been about 30hrs since I did the install. Below are some images (took with my 3gs). It's very hard to capture them via camera but they are very noticeable with the screen off- and less so when on.

I'm going to give is another day but if they are still there tomorrow afternoon I'll prob email their support team. I actually really like the feel of the material on the screen. Its not as smooth as glass but does not have a rubbery feel at all.

Another observation is that the bumper seems to meet right up at the edge of the screen protector- such that it seems to push up the edges of the film fairly often. I waited until this evening to put it on -just to make sure it was dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. artofdesign macrumors member

are these prone to peel up on the sides?

the regular screen protectors i had on 3gs kept peeling up.

11. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The 3GS screen shield was very thick compared to other skins, is this one the same?

12. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Yes, this one, the orig wrapsol, is much thicker than the power support anti-glare I've got on my 3gs right now. If this does not work out, I'll likely order the PS screen protector. Never had a problem with it on my 3gs.

13. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Glad you posted your thread. I was about to post a similar one today. I got my original Wrapsol delivered yesterday and applied it last night. Same experience here. Packaging was good and I applied the front and back. No sides for me. The back looks fantastic! I had the matte finish on my 3GS and love the look on my i4.

I do remember why I went with the PowerSupport in the front now...the Wrapsol front is a bit thick. As soon as I felt the front shield out of the box, I remembered. I might end up getting a PowerSupport once they come in. That's not to say that the front is bad. It does feel good. It doesn't feel rubbery at all.

Anyway, just wanted to share my positive experience with you all.

14. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Unfortunately it seems the combo of bumper and wrapsol orig screen protector is not working. The edges seem to constantly be getting pull up by slight movement of the bumper as i handle the phone.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. Either wait for the PS film - which may work better due to it's thinner profile. or just ditch the bumper and go for a Feather or similar.

Here's a pic of what I'm experiencing. As soon as I push the sides back down and pull the bumper back over top, it happens all over again. Still have most of the micro-bubbles btw.

Are any of you using the bumper/skin combo?

[​IMG]

15. fastd macrumors member

Thanks for the pics. I went with the ultra due do it being a dry install, still hesitant over a wet install. I also want to pair this to a bumper. Will see what happens after I get my replacement.

16. 28Fiend macrumors member

28Fiend

17. Fisticuffs2065 macrumors member

It looks like the Wrapsol hasn't full dried yet. I'm using a wrapsol with my bumper and everything is working out great.

18. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

That's good to know. I might actually pick up a bumper now for when I need a little more protection for the phone.

19. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Update

So I scrapped the wrapsol screen protector and put on the zag. Pretty happy with the results so far. The zags been for about a day now and have been using the bumper with it (and the wrapsol matte back) since last night. I've not yet noticed any lifting of the sides.

I frankly only ended up with the zagg because thats all I could find locally. I'll prob still get the power support film when it's out due to the texture.

All and all, I'm happy. Finally got a setup that will hold me over for a while w/o worrying about dropping it.