Wrapsol Protective Film pics and mini review

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by slipper, Jun 20, 2012.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Just got a new baby, a new 13" MacBook Air. I've used Wrapsol previously with great success, so when i bought my new MBA 13", i didn't consider anything else. Here's a few pros and cons i noticed.

Pros:
    -Very similar texture to the MacBook aluminum finish.
    -Matte finish looks much better than the shiny finish of some other protective wraps
    -Installation overall was very simple

Cons:
    -Seems very over priced, as are most other protective films currently available.
    -Wet installation may damage electronics. Just be very careful. It's impossible to keep all liquids from getting into the cracks.
    -Film on trackpad compromises sensitivity, responsiveness, and feel. I have "Tap to Click" enabled. With film installed, more than half the time i tap, i don't get a response. I'll be removing the trackpad film after typing this review.
    -I wish there were cut-outs for the bottom cover screw holes. During wet installation, soapy water solution gets trapped in the screw holes and stays there. I can no longer remove the bottom cover without removing the film.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. glen e macrumors 68030

Looks nice but I'll do a 3m faux-alum skin from sticker boy ....totally dry install....

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I always use BSE - bestskinsever.com and they are in my opinion the cheapest and the best. I also never install the trackpad piece as I don't want to compromise the trackpad. Top and bottom covers and wrist rests only.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I wish BSE had matte skins. In my opinion, like the OP, matte is perfect on Apple's aluminum surfaces.

5. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

What are you doing with your computers that you get your ALUMINUM MBA to get scratches? I get it almost impossible to scratch my MBA not intentionally

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

I take exceptional care of anything i own. That's a big reason i got the Wrapsol. Carrying the MacBook in the backpack with coins, keys, or anything metal in the wrong pocket can easily damage the finish.

7. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I think a sleeve would do the job.

8. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

That would also be a great option but i prefer not to have the added bulk and the MacBook is still unprotected when outside the sleeve.

9. infectedfall macrumors newbie

Thast looks awesome man! Im actually considering getting it. What exactly is wet installastion?

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I had a phantomskinz matte skin on my 2011 MBA. It lasted about 3 months before beginning to peel. I think it may have been because the case I have is pretty tight and taking it in and out of the case 5x a day did it.

11. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

It involves spraying a soapy solution on the adhesive before installation. It's the exact same way window tint is installed.

12. ihonda macrumors 68000

i have had a wrapsol on my mbp since mid 2010 and it hasnt peeled at all. i just put a new wrapsol on my air bc i had the screen replaced. for the trackpad i chose the moshi track guard bc it doesnt take away from the feel of the glass as bad.