Wrapsol Ultra INSTEAD OF a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ahambone, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Ahambone macrumors newbie

I've never used screen protectors for my iPhone- I always go with some sort of case (currently using an iSkin Solo on my iPhone 3GS).

However, with my iPhone 4 on the way, I'm thinking of making a change. I'm hearing a lot of hype about the Wrapsol Ultra- how it provides great shock protection, how phones can withstand falls while wearing it, etc. etc.

Hearing all of that has me wondering- should I get a bumper, should I get a Best Buy case like the Griffin Reveal (+ the Sharpie trick), OR, could I get a Wrapsol Ultra by itself and have that be my case?

For those of you with experience with the Wrapsol Ultra, do you feel like it's enough protection for your phone, or would I need to put something on top of it like a bumper? Thanks for your help.

2. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Do you really want to take the risk? I usurally go with a case and a screen protector, With the iPhone 4 ima go with a case and a full body screen protector lol.

3. Killquake macrumors member

My iPhone 3GS slipped out of my hand, bounced off the floor and off the staircase and fell about 13 feet before smacking down on the hardwood floor below. The only damage i found was a scratch in the wrapsol. I'm not about to try it again but i feel alot safer with it on then off

4. trekster macrumors member

I bought the ultra, but wanted that extra security so I decided to get a bumper as well.

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

With iPhone 4 - Even Wrapsol ultra can't protect against enough force breaking the glass. I would definitely be okay with just Wrapsol on a 3G(S) but not the iPhone 4. No way!

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Bumper + Wrapsol = Sweet.

You get great protection while still retaining the beautiful looks of the iP4

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

The Bumper or Griffin Reveal are the key.

The weak points on the glass are the edges. Protect those and you'll be hard pressed to shatter the glass.

Wrapsol only = Bad idea.

Wrapsol + Bumper or Griffin Reveal = Golden.

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Agreed... except the Griffin Reveal messes with the flash! :(

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

A little sharpie around the edge of the flash hole has proven to make the Reveal a workable option. Just an FYI.

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I guess if it works!! :p

I still prefer the bumper myself. :p

11. ooo macrumors 6502

While I didn't have a wrapsol, I had a bodyguardz, which claims to have the same shock absorbent characteristics as the wrapsol and mine survived numerous drops as well. At first I thought the iPhone was built like a brick, but after I saw some of my friends devices that cracked after a few drops I started to believe the wrap's magical attributes. I dropped it numerous times on the concrete. Dropped it regular office floors and threw it across a stairwell once. Not a scratch.

With that said, I'm getting a bumper with the wrapsol. The glass seems elevated where as the screen was flushed with the bezel on the 3g. That means that even if you have the wrapsol the edge of the glass won't be protected. If it falls at just that angle, I think there's going to be a few dings, dents and maybe more.

12. NateEssex macrumors 6502

How hard?

How hard is the Wrapsol to put on? I tried the Invisishield on my 3GS and it looked so bad, I sent it back...and never got the refund...those &@#$&ges.

:)

13. ooo macrumors 6502

Shouldn't be that bad. You put it on dry, so you just peel and stick it on. Peel off if there's an issue. Then again I didn't have a problem with the wet applicant method.

14. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

How does the Wrapsol feel on the screen? Is it grippy on the screen? That's my only concern about it. I had the ZAGG on the back of my 3GS and I liked the grip it gave on the back, but not for the screen. I had a Power Support Crystal on the screen.

The problem is that I want the Wrapsol on the back, the bumper on the sides and Power Support Crystal on the screen. That just adds up. KaChing! KaChing!

15. robby818 macrumors 6502a

That's the combo I am going with..although recently I have been reconsidering the Power Support crystal and may just go naked on the front. Reason being is that I usually carry my phone in a pouch or sleeve so the crystal screen is probably unnecessary and MAY interfere a tad bit with the touch screen. I have the PS on my 3G and it is invisible and actually I like the smoothness of the plastic....not sure though.

16. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I bet you if you called Wrapsol, they'd be willing to work out selling you just the back protector. Might be worth a shot!

17. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

18. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Seriously? Why is Power Support Crystal better then the Wrapsol for the front? I havent found that many video reviews of the PSCrystal...

19. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

I'm getting Wrapsol ultra plus THIS sweet bumper that i have no idea how i came across.. i think thru google..

Either way the iPhone 4 is waaaay too heavy and square to be protected by wrapsol alone.. but i didn't want the bumper cause it hides the best part of the phone, which is the stainless steel band, hence why i love this bumper.. it's shipping out the week of june 30th

Attached Files:

20. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

^ That's exactly what I'm doing, too.

SGP has some new leather skins for the back that look really nice, so I'm also considering getting one of those.

21. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Those leather skins are classy. Not gonna offer much protection, but it looks awesome.

The bandEDGE looks pretty good too. Doesn't take too much from the phone like other cases do.

22. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

even thou the leather does look classy.. i think that This One Looks quite awesome as well...not as classy but maybe protects a little more..

i've been so paranoid about my iPhone cause is soooo heavy.. i think i might end up getting an Otterbox because they do seem to be able to take a beating.. i drop my phone a lot since i do home remodeling so i need the best protection. But i'm truly hoping that wrapson with scosche will be enough..

ugh.. i guess this is the worst part of adopting a brand new delicate product :cool:

23. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Some peopel says it's more crystal clear and less rubbery feeling. I still prefer Wrapsol myself. I sleep better knowing it's more safe. LOL.