Wrapsol Ultra mini review.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AuroraProject, Feb 10, 2011.

1. AuroraProject, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Picked up the Wrapsol Ultra yesterday from my local Walmart for $19.96. The Wrapsol is a full body shield covering the front, back, and sides of the iPhone 4. In the package you get the shields, a decent sized cleaning cloth, a foam squeegee, a moist towlette, and an instruction manual. The instructions are pretty detailed and the package is good for the price. The Wrapsol Ultra comes with a lifetime warranty, just make sure you keep the receipt, or at least take a picture of the receipt. Warranty service comes direct from Wrapsol and costs $6 to cover shipping.

I did a dry install. I started by installing the side pieces first, after giving the phone a good wipe down. Installation of the sidepieces was pretty easy, the pieces are easy to grab from the film and place without touching the adhesive. Some of the longer pieces are cut short and designed to be stretched for a perfect fit. The adhesive can be placed and removed to refit, it looks like you have about 30 minutes before the adhesive starts to set. My side install isn't perfect, but it's fine for me and feels good in the hand.

The back and front pieces worry me the most, I can't tell you the number of times I've put on a screen protector and had tons of dust or fingerprints under it, so I'd get mad and rip them off. I took my time putting the back piece on, lining up the camera cutout first and then using the provided squeegee to finish the application. I managed to get no dust or fingerprints! I did have 4-5 small bubbles, but they cleared up by themselves within a few hours. The back piece is not the exact size of the back glass, and it moves around if you hold the phone and persuade the film with your thumbs. I wish this was exactly the same size as the glass, but apparently it's designed that way for stretching. After 18 hours I can still slide the back piece around and I'm wondering how long it takes to fully cure. I was able to stretch the back piece to fully cover the glass, but an hour or so later it had shrunk back to it's original size. I can see minimal orange peel, but only at an angle in direct sunlight. If you aren't looking at it in a critical manner it looks perfect. The Ultra seems to have "self healing" abilities, as small scratches seem to vanish over time.

I am not installing the front piece yet. I may go with a Power Support anti glare for the front.

All in all I like the Wrapsol Ultra. I feel confident in it's scratch proof abilities, and I'll be running the phone caseless for awhile. The lifetime warranty is nice to have should anything get damaged or peel off.

Update: after a week the front and back pieces still move around, and if I stretch them to fit the glass they just shrink back. I have ordered a Power Support front and back set and once it arrives I will be returning the Wrapsol to Walmart. I wanted to like it, but it's flawed.

2. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

if you use 1 teaspoon of soap to 1 cup of water and spay two sprays on the back you can squeegee out the solution and it makes it where you can move it and stretch it till you get it in the perfect place. its really easy and makes it look much better also.

3. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I can still move and stretch it. When does that stop? No matter how much I stretch the back piece into place, it always just shrinks back to it's original size. It looks fine, but really I'd love it to fit perfectly.

4. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

So I have decided to remove and return the Wrapsol Ultra. It's nice, and I don't doubt the protection it gives, but I'm fairly ocd, and the fit bugs me. If the front and back pieces fit perfectly and didn't randomly move around it would be great. I have ordered the Power Support anti glare front and crystal back, hopefully that will suit me better.