wrapsol vs moshi palmguard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by padlee, Jun 1, 2010.

1. padlee macrumors newbie

hey guys,

i've been lurking around this forum since my (first ever notebook) macbook pro 15 i7 AG purchase which is going to be deliver tommorow.

I'm looking to protect it from scratches as much possible. Is there any wrapsol or moshi palmguard users here who can give their thoughts on these 2 products? e.g the durability and thicken of these films etc

As for sleeve i've decided to get booq viper m3.

thanks!

2. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

Moshi

I can't speak to the Wrapsol, but I just got my Moshi Palmguard a few days ago. I must say that when I first heard about this thing, I thought it was kind of ridiculous.

After I got my 15" MBP, I found myself taking my watch off everytime I wanted to use it. The bottom of the buckle brushes up against the aluminum when I type. Suddenly, the usefulness of a palmguard became VERY apparent. I ordered the Moshi as soon as I realized I wasn't going to get over this.

It came over the weekend. Took about 5 minutes to install it (getting it even took me some time, I've never been real good at lining things like this up). I must say, it looks really good. It's color matched perfectly to the MBP and I no longer about my watch scraping the beautiful aluminum body. Feels good to the hands (the part that rests agains the MBP). I didn't use the Trackpad piece; I like the smooth feeling of the naked trackpad.

I would recommend the Moshi Palmguard. Granted, I thought it was a complete waste of money when I started reading about it, but I'm a true convert now. Now I find myself researching the Moshi keyboard protector.....

Another note: I ordered from MyGearStore, which has gotten some bad reviews here. All I can say is my experience was problem free. 99 cents shipping from west coast to east, and from order to delivery was about 3 days.

LT

3. padlee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate for the reply.

I guess i would go for moshi palmguard with booq vyper m3 and moshi clearguard. Is there anything else that i miss?

4. jreale05 macrumors regular

Just installed the wrapsol on my 15" mbp last week. It is awesome! I love it and it's palmguard is great too. I would highly recommend it to everyone! Once it is applied, it isn't going anywhere either, it is very durable and has saved my computer from several scratchers already. Plus it is not hard at all to install like 95% of the people on this board say it is... It took me probably 45 minutes to put it on but half of that time was waiting for it to dry and I didn't end up with any bubbles or anything. I can put some pictures up when I get home from work, if you'd like... :) It looks soooo much better than that princess glossy look of the invisishield.... and it is a lot cheaper.

My friend convinced me to get the incase neoprene sleeve, and now i love it. I would also highly recommend this sleeve. Good protection and looks good.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I found Wrapsol's stuff to be painfully hard to install.

6. jreale05 macrumors regular

Well, if you follow the instructions and aren't afraid to use the fluid, it goes on very easily and you can move it without it sticking or being a pain in the ass. I just covered all of my ports and wasnt stingy with the application fluid and it was a piece of cake. Plus the more fluid you use, the less bubbles you will get.

7. padlee thread starter macrumors newbie

just got my wrapsol today, the packaging says 15 inch model for mbp, but to my disappointed they gave me 13 inch model. anyone came across this problem? must we pay for the shipping fee?

8. ihonda macrumors 68000

my moshi palmguard has lost its stickiness... after 1 week just some fyi

9. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Was your palmrest clean when you applied the Moshi?

This goes for anyone thinking of a Moshi -- you need to get the bare metal as clean and dry as possible for good adhesion. Dirt, sweat, grease/oil, etc needs to be removed as much as possible before application. A cotton ball and rubbing alcohol does the job very nicely.

If your palmrest is dirty beyond saving, it's probably too late to be thinking about a palmguard. :p

10. ihonda macrumors 68000

put on brand new never used mbp.. moshi wants the reciept to replace it but i lost it =/

11. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Did you buy it at Fry's? The 15" model was discounted substantially, and I've found some unscrupulous customers swapped out other sizes for the 15" box to get the lower cost. I always check the contents of stuff at Fry's for this reason.

12. ihonda macrumors 68000

got it from microcenter, it was also reduced down to $14.99 which was fishy but it seemed to hold up for a first few days.. they no longer have any for the 13" go figure.

13. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Got mine (15") from Smalldog electronics at a fairly good discount. Haven't had any problems so far.

14. st!an macrumors newbie

I installed the Moshi Palmguard the same day I got my MBP. It feels great and I'm very happy with it - did not install the trackpad piece, though.

There are videos on youtube showing how to align / install it.
    The whole process took about ten minutes and it came out just perfect.

A very good product that I can definitely reccommend. :D

15. dubels macrumors 6502

I just ordered a wrapsol for pick up at frys for 19.99 I hope that no one switched out the sizes.

Edit: Typical Fry's none in stock but still charged me.

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

must've been one of those rare occasions then. mine is still pretty sticky lol.

17. ihonda macrumors 68000

its only $20?! jesus is that the whole kit?

18. Ann P macrumors 68020

Both are excellent products as I have used on my laptops. On my latest MB I decided to go with the Moshi palmguard just because I won't have to deal with the liquid.

19. Ann P macrumors 68020

Were you re-applying to line it up right? Odd, mine lasted over 6 months and I only took it off for a brand new one. If anyone is having trouble with the Moshi, here's the easiest way to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-VGSEcHHyo

20. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I have the wrapsol for the sides, top, and bottom but I use the moshi palm guard and it's great. Wouldn't trade it for anything right now.

21. Psyclism macrumors newbie

I installed a Wrapsol kit earlier this week on my 15" i5. The palmguard and bottom pieces went on without much problem, but the top piece was rather difficult to install properly. The problem is that Wrapsol cut the top piece with such precision that you have, at least on my set, less than .5mm of room to work with on the corners. Meaning if you have the film more than .5mm away from the left rear corner, you're going to have an equal amount of overlap on the right rear corner. Trying to get the perfect placement took me upwards of an hour. And I nearly went through both of the supplied spray bottles trying.

However, now that I've finished the install and everything has dried, I'm thrilled with the results. The matte finish looks awesome, feels great and has already saved my computer from a scratch or two. It has a hard but just slightly tacky feel to it, not really all that different than the feel of the original aluminum. Huge difference from the look and feel of the typical shiny skins I've installed on other devices. I just wish they would have given a precut strip to put along the front face and sides of the computer. They do provide some strips for the rear corners, and that does help.. but still.

Oh, I decided to skip installing the skin for the trackpad. I like the smooth slick feel of the pad as it is and didn't want to add the skin, which would create more friction on my fingertips.

Overall I'm extremely happy. The install was a pain, but patience paid off in this case. My MBP is well protected without having to install a big cheap feeling plastic case on it.

22. andrew086 macrumors regular

I'd say the wrapsol because it's only a few dollars more than the moshi on Frys (however right now the wrapsol isn't available, should be soon) and the wrapsol covers up most of the computer (top, bottom, back corners, palm rest)

23. padlee thread starter macrumors newbie

i ordered directly from wrapsol website. They apologize for the confusion and had it shipped priority with fedex