Wrapsol

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happy2gomac, Aug 20, 2010.

1. happy2gomac macrumors newbie

OK so being a Macbook Pro Newbie I've searched on all the ways to keep scratches etc to a minimum. For the basics, I finally went to Fry's and bought the Wrapsol 17" cover. $30. That's fine. I went on Youtube and watched their guide over and over. Seemed easy enough.

I'm sorry but this was a pain in the arse and I've only done the bottom of the laptop so far! I'm sure most will say it's "user issues" and that may be the case, but this cover was a pain in the ass to get exact! I figured to start with the bottom of the laptop because with the holes it's easy to see how it lines up. But I couldn't get it exact after several tries!! Off a mm or two each time. Doesn't sound like much, but if it's off, it's off!! Especially the corners!! They don't seem to stay put no matter what. It's not nearly as easy as the host suggests on youtube!! In fact they suggest if you goof, then try again. BUT, if you try again, you must pull the entire shield up and more or less you will stretch it out if you do that. So it doesn't fit as well the next try.

SOOOOO any suggestions on getting this thing to fit correctly? How many times can we pull it off and try again? Without a doubt it stretches when I remove it. I believe in the product in that it will stop scratches. Once it's on, things will be fine. But putting it on is a pain and getting things sealed around the "feet" or "corners" seems quite difficult.

Sorry, just hoping those who've used this will have an inside guide. One person mentioned they could do it in their sleep. I can't imagine!! Seems like a great product once it's on. Just getting it lined up and sealed and the corners to stay on is my issue. Thanks for any input!!

2. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

The corners do lift when first installed. I kept patting them down, and after about 30 minutes, they finally stuck completely. That was in April. It's been perfect since, no lifting.

3. happy2gomac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Hate to ask another question, but how hard was it to line up if you did it by yourself? Once I sprayed the back of the sheet, it became a magnet for anything near by. Laying it down on the bottom side of the laptop it would stick big time, and obviously first try I wasn't close to lining things up. Just frustrating. I see the benefit. Just wondering about others that didn't have a perfect first time experience.

4. furious macrumors 65816

furious

use more of the application solution. I had mine soaking wet. I was able to slide the film into place with no issues.

5. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

This, even on the website they say to apply liberally. There's a reason that they give you 2 bottles of solution.

6. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

I have now done 15-20 of the IS or wrapsol shields. My first couple were bad but now I find it easy. It takes patience and practice to do it perfectly. Just keep at it, you will find each piece gets easier.

7. happy2gomac thread starter macrumors newbie

Stupid question, but is this something a Mac Store would install? The top install went worse than the bottom. 2 of the corners just won't stick. Can we just pull it off and try over and over again until we get it right? It definitely seems like it will take several tries for a proper install. More than several. The sheets will be OK if remove and reinstall? Lastly, what exactly is the solution they provide? I received 2 bottles but one was 100% EMPTY!! So I have hardly any left to try over and over. Ugh!! My luck to get an empty bottle. Thanks all!!

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

No the Apple store won't install it for you.

I'm not sure if Wrapsol do but Clear Coat & Invisible Shield have mall carts where you can go and pay to have it installed.

9. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

The solution is a small amount of mild dish detergent and water, thats it. You really don't want to peel it off too many times to reposition as this will increase the chances of getting more dust on it. I would install it for you if you were near me! Thats why I have done so many, I am now the shield install guy for everyone I know LOL. Also I don't think I have ever got one "perfectly" aligned. In one corner or side it will be off slightly by 1mm or so, I also think this is due to the shields not fitting as exact as i would like them to.

Another thing, small bubbles and imperfection WILL go way in 24-48hrs, don't reposition just for the small bubbles and imperfections.

10. circularforward macrumors 6502

This video may be helpful. Even though it's a bodyguardz install, it is basically the same thing. Having done two of these installs, all I can emphasize is patience.

11. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Buy another skin, fill a sink with warm water, slowly pour some washing up liquid in and mix it, trying to get no bubbles, completely submerse the skin in the liquid, let most of it drip off, place it on, then use a credit card to squeegee it clean.

How i've done 3 3G S's, iPod Nano and 2 iPhone 4's.

12. Lola M macrumors member

I installed mine last week. I installed bottom first. I did everything according to the video and didnt have any problems. I watched several videos on Youtube. Didnt hurt. It took a long time but thats because I was stretching it so it aligned with edges. I sprayed generously but it wasnt too wet. I sprayed my hands and stretched it with my hands and that little cloth that came with it. Basically my Mac got a massage.
    Take a look at the end product. Im happy. Just took a lot of patience.

Attached Files: