Wrecked my Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by disthis, Nov 1, 2008.

1. disthis macrumors newbie

Hi sorry if this has beeen covered before,but im new to macs, just got an emac and basically it wouldnt boot and now what i have is an empty hard disk(erased my osx install) that came with the computer and an OsX "boot cd" that i can boot to osx with. Ive tried to do a restore image with disk utility and simply draged the cd image to the source and my empty (mac osx partition) to the destination and it says it completes it. however when i restart, chnaging startup disk to hdd. it simply will not boot past the apple screen with the little black cirlce going round and round.Is it possible to copy the osx boot cd to the hard drive and boot from it? thank you please help!!!Ive tried other disk utilities but they cannot unmount or mount drive .

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I think you'll need to reinstall OS X from the CD, and not just copy the contents of it to the hard drive.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

Boot from the restore disk and try to do an archive and install (if you want to try and save old files etc...). Or boot from the restore disks and re-install OS X.

4. disthis thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah sorry i forgot to mention the problem i have is that i dont actually have an osx install cd, just the boot cd.i tell you what i do have though is a copy of 10.3 panther install, 3 cd images .dmg but they are on my windows computer. ive tried to burn them but it keeps failingis this cause i am doing it in windows? i tried to copy the images to the emac but it keeps saying drive full or write protected?..i have an external usb drive and that boot cd and the images... any chance of making this work? i appreciate it. Oh, the images i got from the guy i bought the emac from, i had them on the emac b4 i crashed it. so now they are on my compaq. thanks

Just basically more or less what i want to do is just copy the bootable cd, which boots to osx (10.3.9), to the hard drive and then be alright.