Wrist detection while driving; and some other thoughts

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aml216, May 17, 2015.

1. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I've had my apple sport for a couple days now. I'm really enjoying not having to have my phone on me all the time while I am home. Over all pretty pleased :)

I did notice a couple things though. I apologize if this has been mentioned. But I'll share anyways.

When driving, I noticed the watch tends to go on and off because sometimes as I turn the wheel, the watch thinks I want to see the time. I wonder how much of a drain on the battery this over time? Bothers me now, but maybe with time I'll learn to ignore the "false on." Seems not quite worth the trouble to turn wrist detection on and off every time I drive.

Also, the gym. I find when I doing some free weight exercises the watch turns on for the same reasons as mentioned just above. I suppose it's possible to turn off wrist detection every time I go to the gym... Or I could just live with it.

That said I do enjoy using wrist detection in most other situations. Nice to not have to tap the screen to view the time.

Is there a watch face that would use the LEAST amount of battery? Do complications on the watch face (weather, moon) drain the battery more than if there were no complications? I normally find myself drifting between the modular (only to show time and date, no complications) and the solar watch faces.

I'd be curious to know if anyone had their own revelant insights :)

For those who don't have the watch yet, I hope you get it soon!

2. patrickpiteo macrumors member

Use simple watch face that will save battery life and turn briteness down.

3. Knightcastle macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

Does your battery tend to die before the end of the day? I do a lot of driving and exercising and my watch is rarely below 50% at the end of a 18/19 hour day.

Sounds like this might be your solution.

4. docprego macrumors 65816

I notice this too but the battery life is so good I don't really worry about it. I'm typically at 50% or more after a 12-15 hour day of usage.

5. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

I've yet to see how the battery performs on the weekdays when I am at work, but the past two days have been good. 18 hours of standby and 3 or so hours of use left me at 40%.

Ill give it some time. More than likely my paranoid self is being overly conscience of things I probably should worry less about :)

----------

Yep, I find having the brightness set to 1 works just dandy for me, even outdoors, so that's what I've been using :)

6. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Just one thought (I can't test because I returned my apple watch 38mm waiting for the 42).When you push the contact button, you can lock the watch.

Does that prevent the raise wrist function from activating??

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

Nope still works unless you disable wrist raising.

8. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

Agreed

9. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

then maybe Apple should add a "ignore if locked" option under wrist detection :)

10. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

When I am wearing the watch is it unlocked anyways? Or am I overlooking something?

11. flur macrumors 68000

Yes, the watch is unlocked when you wear it, IF you've unlocked it. Once it's unlocked, it will stay unlocked until you take it off.

As for the rest of this, unless you're having trouble getting through a day, there's no point in worrying about it.

12. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

Agreed, thanks!