Wrist friendly mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hkim1983, Feb 11, 2013.

1. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

So lately, my portable MS mouse has been giving me some wrist pain whenever I use it, and that's kind of annoying, so I'm looking into replacing it with something a little more ergonomic and "wrist friendly". I would prefer if it were full-size, since my hand cramps up if it isn't, and I would also really prefer if it were wireless. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, would the apple bluetooth trackpad be "wrist friendly"?

I can do diamond pushups without bothering my wrists, but my mouse makes me grimace...go figure...

2. Daysight macrumors regular

I switched to a vertical Evoluent mouse which puts my forearm in neutral instead of twisted pronated like a regular mouse. Big difference. Worthwhile training the other hand too.

3. hkim1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

Woa, that's a funky looking mouse, but it seems to operate under the same principle as doing pushups on your fists (which is what I do now) rather than doing them flat on your palms.

Thanks for the info, I will look into this farther.

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I too had problems with mice in general. With me it was the lower joint of both thumbs. Then I switched to the MBA trackpad and have never used a mouse again. No more thumb problems.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

You might visit an office-supply store (Staples, etc.) and try out some of the mice on display.

I would recommend the Logitech Performance MX mouse. It's somewhat larger than your typical mouse, and is ergonomically designed to "fit" into the hand (assuming you're right-handed). They're a bit more expensive than a run-of-the-mill mouse (about $73 or so at amazon.com), but definitely worth paying more for.

You can run these with either the Logitech software that comes bundled with it (which is kind of "bloated"), or, use either "USB Overdrive" or "SteerMouse".

6. mslide macrumors 6502a

Same here. I went with a Logitech Performance MX mouse with one of those mouse pads that have a built-in gel wrist pad.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I just bought my 4th Logitech Performance MX mouse for my new MBP. I have one for each of my computers! Best mouse I've ever used.

8. hkim1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks for the input guys.

I have considered the Logitech Performance MX before, and I'm sure it's ergonomically comfortable in the hand, but that doesn't really help the problem I have with my wrist. It's something I'll consider and test out at a Staples, but I'm really liking the Evoluent mouse suggested because I already know that will put a lot less pressure on it.

As for the trackpad, well, my problem isn't in my thumbs, so the trackpad doesn't benefit me in that way, although I will say that the trackpad doesn't hurt as much to use as my MS mouse, although I wouldn't be able to tell you why that's the case.

9. UnwiredTech macrumors newbie

I use Razer Mamba..so far so good both in Mac and Windows

10. MJL macrumors 6502a

move away from the "standard" mouse. My wife and daughter use the 3M ergonomic and I used it for many years until I started to get arthritic problems. At the moment using a Kensington Orbit Trackball with scroll ring but have some Logitech M570 trackballs stored away.

All have their specific niches and you have to try to find the right solution before it gets too bad.