Wrist pad - cover protector for mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cool11, Mar 3, 2014.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Has anyone buy any of these wrist pad cover protectors?
    I want to protect my mbp from stains.
    But I do not want to make any harm to my mbp aluminum case while I trying to keep it always clean.
    I am afraid of 'glue' trails over time, by using such 'protection' products, even though in the product description they claim that they 'will not leave a sticky residue when removed'.

Does anybody tried any of these? I want to buy a quality product, from ebay-amazon etc, and not a bad one.

2. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

if you have a 2013 model, Apple discourages the use of wristpads or keyboard covers because there's less space between the keyboard/display's now.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4384

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Thanks for let me know.

I don't think this has any relation with the thin leaf of protection material apple itself ships their laptops. Can I leave this inside every time I close the lid?

I am also thinking that I could have a wrist pad to use it when I use the mbp, without leaving it permanently inside.

4. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

As Apple discourages it on the Retina MacBook Pro, there are a few other threads debating to what extent there'd be issues (probably some thinner, protective films won't cause problems like the thicker padded options).

Personally, my sweat seems to be too acidic and caused aluminum pitting on older models, so I picked one up for my MacBook Pro (a non-Retina model) - I've been very happy with the fit, finish, and match with my computer's metal, and a watch-wearing friend has been happy with the results on hers. I don't use the trackpad film though—the glass is durable enough:

http://www.moshistore.com/palmguard

5. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I am interested for use with a 2013 model.
    Do you use it with 2013 model?
    Moshi has quality products.
    I think, strangely enough, that I read some user opinions in amazon, telling that these palmguards are not updated for the latest mbp models, with slightly different dimensions from the older ones, no drive etc

Maybe this is in accordance with the 'prohibition' of apple.
    By the way, i will definitely use a keyboard cover from 'mediadevil' , but I think for this there should not be any problem.

6. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Mine is actually a 2012 non-Retina model - the one Apple is still selling. Moshi does sell a line for the Retina MacBook Pros (http://www.moshistore.com/palmguard-for-macbook-pro-retina#13), which have different dimensions than the non-Retina MacBook Pros.I have heard that Moshi's ClearGuard fits a little strangely on the Retina models, but haven't heard anything else.

7. rex450se macrumors regular

I picked up one of the Moshi wrist guards the other day for my late 2013 rMBP and have been happy with it. A local discount shop that is hit or miss with a lot of stuff had about 20 of these for $5 each. So I picked one up and so far am pleased. Easy to apply and looks good. And when I say hit or miss I mean it, you have to know what you're looking at because some stuff is higher than you can buy it anywhere else, but I also bought a full set of Calloway irons for $9.99 once. Sorry to go off topic there. But I haven't had any issues with clearance but honestly, my laptop stays open on my desk 95% of the time.

Victor

----------

I looked closely at the screen after reading the part on Apple's website about not using the wrist guards and I think at least for the Moshi version it shouldn't be a problem. It you look at the screen there is a thin black rubber strip running around the out side of the screen that rests on the bottom case when closed. I could see an issue on keyboard covers and smaller dimensioned wrist covers. But the Moshi goes to the edge, or at least close enough that the rubber strip will rest on top of it. I could see the closed laptop being a mm thicker because it has to compensate for the wrist guard but i don't see it coming into contact with the screen and causing any problems because the rubber part keeps it at the same distance from the screen as the bottom case is naturally.

Victor

8. sixrom macrumors 6502a

It's just a computer, although a rather overpriced one.

Why not just buy it and use it in it's natural beauty. That's what I do.

I buy mine to use and enjoy. Any minor cosmetic blemishes accumulated with use are perfectly normal.

9. rex450se macrumors regular

Part of my reason for being overly careful with my electronics is that it increases their resale value. To some that doesn't matter, but that affords me the opportunity to get the latest and greatest. I am constantly upgrading to the newest cell phone, laptop, car stereo or whatever. And if I wasn't able to get top dollar for what I'm selling it would hurt my pocketbook even more. There is a cost of always having the newest gadget, I just try to limit that cost.

Victor

10. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I have a palm rest protector on my late-2013 rMBP and have no issues with it. It works great, it's VERY thin, and it really doesn't leave any residue when removed, it's like it's never been on. I bought one because when I used my old laptop, it left marks where my wrists would rest and I didn't want the same to happen to my MacBook, so I purchased it for the sake of preventing wrist marks and so far, so good!

11. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I need a link, from moshi, for retina 15' models of 2013.
    15', not 13' one.

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

It's on the same page... Click selection box next to 'Designed For'.

13. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

You are right. :)

Still reading about complaints that they are bigger size than the dimensions of latest macbook pro 15. It is a pity.

----------

Which brand/model?

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use a Moshi Palmguard. Having been using it on every MacBook Pro and Air I've owned since 2009.

It works great and despite what Apple says, I don't have issues with it.

15. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

If I buy a moshi, will it fit perfectly to 2013 models, or it will be bigger and I should make cuts?

16. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I'm using Uppercase which I bought off Amazon.

17. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

The 2013 models are the exact same size as the 2012 models—I suspect people were buying (or at least receiving) the one for the non-Retina models on Amazon and then wondering why it didn't fit right. Knowing how precise Moshi has been for other models, I can't imagine that they don't have right size for the 15" rMBP. Plus, if it ends up not fitting right, you could always contact them: http://www.moshistore.com/support/faq/

18. rex450se macrumors regular

The one I have is for the rMBP and fits perfect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]