Wrist pad cracked. 2006 macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by messedkid, May 6, 2009.

1. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Howdy. :)

So my macbook's wrist pad (right side) has been cracked for awhile now. Started out with a small crack, then growing almost 4cm and then snapping off part of the plastic. I tried superglueing it back on (im resourceful :D) but it didn't hold. Now I have a 4cm long piece of plastic missing from my wrist pad, and crusty superglue residue left where my wrist goes.

The left side is starting to crack as well, although, not as bad.

Figured I would ask here before I take it to the apple store:

What will all need to be replaced? Will just the wrist pad be replaced or is it attached to the keyboard?

How much $$ am I looking at? Since I bought it in september 2006, I have no warranty left. :(

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Many times, apple fixes this issue for free, even when out of warranty.

3. messedkid thread starter macrumors 6502

messedkid

sounds great :).

How long do you guys think my macbook will be in the shop for?

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I had it happen twice, also the person before and after me in line at the apple store also had the same issue. Free repair, applecare or not I believe as it's a know issue.

I would guess the change to aluminum for the new macbooks will save apple all kinds of money on top case repairs. (The entire top of the computer is replaced, including the keyboard and trackpad.) If they have the parts on hand, it takes an hour or so to get it replaced.

5. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

if you take it to a apple store it should be no more than a day if they are busy.
    I had it happen twice and both times i was at the store at 4:00 pm and they were ready the same day.

6. JD92, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand