Wrist raise is way too sensitive

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dictoresno, Jun 9, 2015.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Anyone else think so? I would love to use it but it appears to be way too sensitive. I find the watch face turning on for every little motion. My G-Shocks have the same feature however there is no mistake with it, you can lift it gently and it won't light up, takes a decent shake to get it to turn on. I just wish we can control the sensitivity to suit our needs. Anyone else feel this way?

2. Glene macrumors 6502

No fine with me, wait a few weeks, it works pretty well....

3. rbalkun macrumors newbie

rbalkun

With WatchOS 2 it seems like it's a lot more sensitive...maybe that's why the battery dies so fast now.

4. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I hope they bring out an option to work change the sensitivity. On WatchOS 1.0 it was perfect for me, but I knew quite a few people who had an Apple Watch as well and were saying it barely turned on for them unless they made dramatic moments.

NOW with WatchOS 1.1 my watch face goes off all the time. I'm sitting at my desk, moving from mouse to keyboard and my watch lights up. Keyboard to coffee (not lifting up) it turns on. Reach down to my desk drawer it turns on. If I'm at the printer and I hit the copy button and reach for the copies it turns on. Almost every moment I do now it turns on.

I actually have to turn it off in the movies because just moving from having my hands on my lap to the armrest and it'll blast light in the dark theatre. Sigh.

5. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

I'm sure it works well, however I find it turns on alot more often than I want it to. Slightest turn off the wrist and it lights up. I mean does it get better over time, like learn movements? Or is it preset with no way to correct itself?

6. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Exactly how I feel! Never had this issue with my G-Shocks. I submitted a feedback to allow requesting the sensitivity be user adjustable for people to compensate for what activities they may be doing. I can't imagine jogging with it on lol. Screen will be on the whole time.

7. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I hope and expect that I'll get refined over time. It comes on more often than needed, but still occasionally doesn't come on at all. The current balance is probably right.

I think the battery drain is more likely due to having an early beta full of unoptimised code.

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I have the opposite problem, it often takes three tries for me to get it turned on. Sometimes have to resort to pressing the crown.

9. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

I wish mine did this. So does it learn over time to distinguish between a wrist raise and normal movement.

10. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I set "Modular" with just the time showing in Red. I recently read Red in dark is easy for your eyes and it doesn't light up the area in the movies. Seems to be a good tip.

11. rbalkun macrumors newbie

rbalkun

I took my watch off the charger at 0630 this am....left it upside down so it wouldn't turn on...and it's now past 10 and at 95%...I think the battery issue really is due to increased sensitivity...I've had the watch since the week it came out and the screen turning on all the time is the first thing I noticed with WatchOS 2...yesterday by this time it was at like 50%

12. Ponta macrumors newbie

Ponta

Same here. I am trying to find a way so that I don't have to turn my wrist in such a specific way for it to turn on. Especially when my hands are full and my wrist, out of necessity, cannot turn the exact way. I try turning it as much as I can, and the damned thing won't turn on.

How about making it turn on for just 2 seconds in unorthodox movements, but longer for the "correct" orientation? That would work fine for me...