Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
EDIT--- If a person doesn't like a thread, they are free to not read it. Don't have a cow. If you'd like to write
that this threads sucks, go ahead. If you'd like to write that you don't care about privacy and security, go ahead.

This is a compilation of info that some may be interested in. If you're not interested, don't read it.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...y-grab-your-cellphone-data-with-a-warrant.ars

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20056344-281.html

<<A book titled iOS Forensic Analysis ($59.99 list) published by Apress in December 2010 elaborates on how the information is stored. Here's an excerpt:

Cell tower data also has geospatial data. This data covers all cell towers that the iDevice comes into contact with. This list can be very extensive and can assist in investigations of placing a phone in a general area from a cell tower on a given date and time. These data points have changed file types over time...This property list appears to give not only the latitude and longitude from where the cell phone was in relation to the cell tower but also the compass heading from it. The compass heading is very important so you can get an azimuth from the cell tower to the iPhone. All these values--latitude, longitude, and azimuth--combined can give an approximate location of the iPhone. A date and time value is also given in the property list...This, on top of other artifacts on the device, adds up to giving you a complete picture of the travels of the iDevice and could place the phone in a general area in reference to a crime.>>

---
<<Forensic Telecommunications Services advertises its iXAM product as able to "extract GPS location fixes" from an iPhone 3GS including "latitude, longitude, altitude and time.">>
---
<<In addition, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has publicly asserted the right to copy all data from anyone's electronic devices at the border--even if there's no suspicion of or evidence for illegal activity. The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has blessed the practice.>>
---
<<Micro Systemation, a Swedish firm that announced last year the U.S. government had placed the largest order in the company's history, offers a course on how to extract "GPS information" from the "Apple iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad devices.">>
---
<<A now-deleted description of the course, retrieved from Google's cache, says students will "learn how to acquire data and retrieve GPS location" from iOS devices. O'Reilly Media, too, offers a two-day workshop on iPhone forensics for the princely sum of $3,500. (Police get a discount.)>>
---
<<Micro Systemation said in a post on its Web site that this week's news "will come as a surprise to most iPhone users, as their devices do not give any visual indication that such data is being recorded." But, the company said with some apparent glee, they're "no surprise to the developers here at MSAB who have been recovering this data... for some considerable time.">>

Last edited:

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is the most liberal (some would say radical) court in the Nation.

I don't know because I haven't done my research, but I doubt they'd allow such a practice (to copy all data from anyone's electronic devices at the border) to go unchecked.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
I'll write mine and say "how can I get charged for data and text? (which is data) Please pointlessly rant on C-SPAN saying that the FCC needs to help us."

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Not a big deal.

1. I could care less if someone can tell where I have been. I don't really go anywhere that I need to hide from anyone else.

2. If I do need to be stealthy and secretive... I am smart enough to know that you need to leave more then your cell phone at home.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
What a wasted posting.

Guy comes here with Title saying to write your congressman, then does not explain whatever issue he has... just copies some garbage.

Grow up.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Really who cares

Privacy does not exist anymore so live with it or don't use any device where location can be enabled. Fact remaines that if they wanted to get your locaiton they can with or without that information.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Cliff's Notes:

A phone's data can be used to prove that bad people did bad things.

Sounds pretty good to me.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
What a wasted posting.

Guy comes here with Title saying to write your congressman, then does not explain whatever issue he has... just copies some garbage.

Grow up.

I don't disagree with your premise. However, just because someone copy/pastes some sensational "news" story doesn't neccessarily mean they're immature. Dumb, lazy, or both, maybe. But telling someone you've never met to grow up, based on something they did which doesn't even show signs of immaturity, is in fact, immature.

So grow up.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I hate to say this, but it is nothing new and certainly not worth getting huffed about unless you are doing things that will get you in trouble with the law. :rolleyes:

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...t-iphone-location-tracking-investigations.ars

Hey collard slaves, just because something doesn't impact you directly and immanently doesn't mean you shouldn't care.

The info can be subpoenaed in a divorce, or other lawsuit. It can be searched without cause when coming back in the country. Just because you have never left the country, or your own state for that matter, doesn't mean it isn't important. A violation to one is a violation to all.

If don't love freedom and you don't know that it needs to be fought for everyday against the bastards that encroach upon it, then bow down.

Otherwise YOU grow up and take responsibility for your freedom, your rights, and the quality of life of your children and their children.

This isn't conspiracy theory. It's facts. If someone here would like to point out that anything in the article is false, go for it. Otherwise, your servile opinion is just embarrassing.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I hate to say this, but it is nothing new and certainly not worth getting huffed about unless you are doing things that will get you in trouble with the law. :rolleyes:

"I don't care that our rights are eroding because I'm a compliant house-slave".

That's what you sound like. Get real.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
And what I've learned over the years is that MOST people commenting in forums don't even bother to read the dang article. And if they do, their reading comprehension skills is that of a fourth grader and/or they filter out what they are reading because they don't like it.

How many of you even vote? How many of you have ever written their congressperson about anything?

Do you even believe in democracy?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Cliff's Notes:

A phone's data can be used to prove that bad people did bad things.

Sounds pretty good to me.

How about letting the cops search your home once per month? No? Why not? You have nothing to hide, right?

Do you guys have any idea that the FBI illegally infiltrates and plays dirty tricks on political groups because they oppose the administration's policies? Are they "bad people" who have no rights?

There are all sorts of implications.

And the reason I copied and pasted "sensational" facts from the article is because I knew people would be too lazy to read the whole article.

It may be sensational that there are several companies out there gleefully selling their services to extract info from handsets and computers, but it's still a fact.

The initial reports were that it was cell tower locations only... that's why I highlighted GPS several times from quoted high level forensic services experts. And I highlighted compass heading as well.

We have a right to KNOW what these devices do and don't do. Period. That's how we, as adults, make informed decisions.

If you're a political activist, not breaking the law, are you a "bad person" whose rights can be violated?

Last edited:

eckseid

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
How about letting the cops search your home once per month? No? Why not? You have nothing to hide, right?

When that happens, I'll gladly write my congress person. However, that's not happening. I don't give a **** if Apple knows where I am, and apparently according to the rest of the post in this thread, no one here does either. Take your tin foil hat off and take this story to a place that actually has people who care.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
When that happens, I'll gladly write my congress person. However, that's not happening. I don't give a **** if Apple knows where I am, and apparently according to the rest of the post in this thread, no one here does either. Take your tin foil hat off and take this story to a place that actually has people who care.

People get uncomfortable when they have to face up to they have to be adults and be resposible for the condition of their country.

Take your slavish, servile mind set elsewhere.

eckseid

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
People get uncomfortable when they have to face up to they have to be adults and be resposible for the condition of their country.

Sorry, I can't read that first sentence, so can't reply to that.

As for the second sentence, who exactly am I a slave to?

Smtevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...t-iphone-location-tracking-investigations.ars

Hey collard slaves, just because something doesn't impact you directly and immanently doesn't mean you shouldn't care.

The info can be subpoenaed in a divorce, or other lawsuit. It can be searched without cause when coming back in the country. Just because you have never left the country, or your own state for that matter, doesn't mean it isn't important. A violation to one is a violation to all.

If don't love freedom and you don't know that it needs to be fought for everyday against the bastards that encroach upon it, then bow down.

Otherwise YOU grow up and take responsibility for your freedom, your rights, and the quality of life of your children and their children.

This isn't conspiracy theory. It's facts. If someone here would like to point out that anything in the article is false, go for it. Otherwise, your servile opinion is just embarrassing.

Arn't you violating something too by JBing your phone?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009

Until you're an activist for every cause known to man, please refrain from telling which which issues I need to care about and what stance I need to have. There are no shortage of things in this world to be outraged about. I'll make my own choices on which ones I choose to do something about. :mad:

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Wouldn't this be some of the same technology and information that allows first responder emergency personnel (ie 911) to find you.... Or if something bad happens to you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.