Writing A Research Paper on Steve Jobs For School

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by flipster, Apr 6, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

So, I got an english assignment yesterday. The assignment says to write about someone and how you believe they changed the world. Being an Apple freak, I truly believe that Steve Jobs started a revolution beginning in 1984 in his garage with Steve Wozniak. I know pretty much everything about Steve Jobs, and Apple (literally everything). I'm actually exctied to write this research paper.

My question for you guys is: How many times has he been on the cover of Time Magazine?

Any ideas or thoughts on how I can make this sound like a kick ass research paper? :D

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Can't help you with the number of times he's been on the cover, but I can give you this.

http://www.spd.org/2009/11/the-10-greatest-steve-jobs-mag.php

3. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

THANK YOU! I needed primary sources, this will be perfect! Any other information about him?

I was thinking about starting the research paper off by saying "It all began in 1984 (in a garage in California? Help me out here :)!). This is the year that Steve Jobs began revolutionizing the world as we know it today, etc.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I'd be a little bit more narrative in your opening. Tell the story of what happened in that garage that day in one to three sentences. Then give your thesis statement in the second to last or last sentence. Or make your thesis statement two sentences.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Do some research. It didn't 'begin' in 1984. That's when Apple introduced the Macintosh. Apple was founded well before that.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Might want to check that. Apple was started in 1976.

See above.

The Google can help.

Yeah, do some reading.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you knew everything about Jobs and apple, wouldn't you know how many times he's appeared on the cover of Time ;)

As others stated It did not begin in 1984, but 1976 with Jobs and Woz building the Apple I in their garage. In 1984, apple unveiled the Macintosh, but they were already a successful computer company at that point.

Sounds like you have some research and verification of facts in front of you.

8. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, okay, I know 95% about Apple, but I obviously have some research to do :p Anyway, thank you for your help! If you have anything else, please feel free to post :)!!

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

When I was at school, we had to do a presentation on who our 'hero' was. Because I was an immature young man at the time, with no care who my hero was; I did a presentation that took the mick out of Steve Ballmer.

Some points of it are blatantly untrue, and I just made up. Some points are very fanboyish. But this was the nearest I got to doing any homework at school, so at the time it was seen as an achievement. Hope someone enjoys it and I hope it (somehow) helps the OP with his Steve Jobs paper.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you had even checked Wikipedia, you would have known that Apple wasn't started in 1984. Have you done any research at all? :confused: You have Google and everything.

Sounds like you "literally" know 50% about Steve Jobs. Let's just hope you earn higher than a 50% on this assignment. ;)

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You should write about Woz, he's less well known so you'll get obscure points and there's a hell of a lot more info about him.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1

He was the genius behind the apple I, II and III, Jobs is a salesman, Woz had the ability

13. kolax macrumors G3

Avoid writing it like a fanboy!

Be neutral on it. Obviously you can spin things towards Steve Jobs favour given that you are writing about someone who has 'changed the world', but don't make it an advert for Steve Jobs or an advert for Apple. Your teacher will hate reading it... nothing worse than complete bias and fanboyism.

Just write it as it is, and give facts that back up that he 'changed the world' and leave it up to the reader to decide whether he did or not. Things like the mp3 player industry prior to the iPod and total sales, then when the iPod came along, sales and success.

Avoid slagging off other platforms too - talk about them and their success in comparison to Apple's, but don't try to convince the reader through your opinion - use facts to backup your argument.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And now he rides around on a Segway and goes on reality shows.

15. Rocksana macrumors newbie

It's a good idea start to write essay from writing thesis statement. You should use this advice. You can use Custom thesis writing. This service can help to do this.

16. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

You should try reading this book. It will be great to help your paper.

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Not such a bad way to live at all.