Writing a School Paper on Why Macs are Awesome

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Yojiirill, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Yojiirill macrumors regular

NOTE: Sorry if this might be in the wrong section. I'm relatively new here, and I wasn't really sure where to put it.

Anyway, I'm writing a paper in English about why you should get a Mac, and while I got my first point (that you get a lot of value for your money) down pat, I don't know where to start with my second one (that they're easy to use). There are so many things that make them easy to use, but since I haven't spent much time with Windows in my life, I'm not sure how many of them are 100% unique.

That's where you guys come in. What features (not counting downloadable software) makes your time on a Mac better than being on a PC?

Thanks in advance!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When in doubt, go for the community discussion forum. Your thread is now there. :)

As for the paper, well, one would hope one would have better things to write about, but good luck. :p

3. notstevelam macrumors newbie

the only reason to get a mac these days is for the form factor and 'prettiness'. other than that, there is no real difference between a mac and pc besides the premium price tag.

the fact that you say its better to get a mac and yet you've barely ever used windows speaks volumes of what the majority of people will probably try to feed you on this forum as well.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Im prety sure people get Mac because they like for the computer to...i dont know...work?

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

And the misinformation begins.

6. notstevelam macrumors newbie

my pcs work just fine. how do macs 'work' more?

macs are good for low-level hobbyists and general internet usage. afterall this is the market apple is targeting.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

When you get a virus on that PC of yours soon enough, you let me know how Macs

How's that trollin' working out?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how can you write an objective argument when you yourself admit you hardly use windows?

as in, in not using windows, how can you deduce that its "better value" or "easier to use"?

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Be careful what you write, the person who marks your paper could be a Windows fan. :D

10. notstevelam macrumors newbie

umm i've had windows machines for 15+ years with no virus issues. i've had a few malware issues back in like 1999 when i was still using internet explorer. common sense and not downloading illegally obtained warez generally lets you avoid virus/malware issues though.

11. notstevelam macrumors newbie

how is that statement considered trolling??? you disagree that macs are targeted at low-level hobbyists and general internet users?

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

The trolling comment stems from the fact that you are an avid Pc user, who registers on a Mac forum, to bash on Mac products. I can think of many Mac users who are not "low-level hobbyists." If you're going for everyone on this site hating you, please by all means, keep calling them "low-level hobbyists."

13. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

Take an objective approach to writing your paper and avoid doing what apple did in their latest ad, that is, avoid resorting to attacking windows7/vista/xp.

Tout the features of snow leopard like expose, its dock, time machine etc. While you can compare it to windows, I would also compare it to other operating systems like various linux distros (as linux users does not experience major virus issues). Do not gloat and most of do not come off smug.

14. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

The OS and the larger multi touch trackpad are the only things I find superior on a Mac. I do not find this worth the cost however..nearly double for these two things seems a bit much. If there were another hardware option out of the box that ran OSX without hassle and hacking, and at the price point of comparable PCs I would buy one over a Mac. The "image" factor means nothing to me and I don't find it worth one cent.

15. notstevelam macrumors newbie

i am an avid user of both windows and mac. if this threatens you, then i am sorry. and i was talking about apple marketing, which i am right about.

16. notstevelam macrumors newbie

i actually find the dock and expose to be the weakest part of OS X. its like they didn't know how to improve the dock properly, so they just add a bunch of workarounds to make it actually usable. the windows 7 dock is miles ahead in functionality.

17. No1451 macrumors 6502

Like this guy said, atm you cannot write anything about Apple products as really, you have to take every side into account when writing a paper, I could very well write a paper about how great cats are but it would suck because I've never owned a dog.

Break down some features the OS and machines have then compare them against other similar features in other OSes(Time Machine vs Windows backup vs whatever Linux has going for it). To be entirely frank though, I think any paper about something like this will be really weak since you are arguing for preference(something I see absolutely no value in which is why I failed all my opinion papers in highschool;))

18. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

so you think macs are the best but have 0 reasons to back it up? looks like you'll fit in with this forum just fine :)

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

The problem with these sorts of stories is that it's always difficult to be totally objective, but I wish you luck :D Maybe, to add a human interest element to your paper, you could tell real stories about real people, rather than hypothetical situations that may be biased. For example, there are threads about people's "switch experiences".

I think what it boils down to for me is that "Macs make you look good". This is a result of some great software and "polish". So I can churn out a slide show very quickly (iPhoto), burn it to a DVD with motion menus and music (iDVD) or edit a video (iMovie) or write up a newsletter (iWork). Today the Windows apps are really catching up, but a few years ago, the difference was remarkable. I've done Keynote presentations and not even done anything super-flashy, and the people who don't pay attention to technology complimented me on how good a presenter I was, while the people who do pay attention asked, "Hey, what version of PowerPoint were you using? How did you get it to look so good?"

Sometimes it's what you don't see. I know the "PCs crash a lot" is cliche, but it does sometimes happen and we've become so used to seeing it that we don't even notice anymore. I've been to many presentations or school lectures where the presenter will come in, unpack their laptop, plug it in, and I watch on the big screen as they fiddle with resolution settings in the Control Panel. You get a glimpse of their Windows desktop, watch as they open up PowerPoint and navigate to their file, etc. We see that all the time and we think nothing of it. I even see that happen in church services, and nobody is bothered by it.

So when the guy with the Mac plugs in and we see the projector fade to a plain blue screen, and then the next thing we see is the first page of the presentation, we don't think consciously of it ("Hey! we didn't see any desktop - that must mean he set up multiple monitors automatically and set up his presentation to use the secondary display! That's impressive, considering this is the first time he's ever plugged into that projector!") But what we do see is a smooth, distraction-free presentation, and in our minds we think "That guy is prepared. Therefore he is a good presenter."

Same thing when I put up a slide show using iPhoto and the Ken Burns effect as opposed to flipping static images. People come up and say "Wow, that was such a beautiful slideshow." They can't necessarily articulate why they thought it was nice. But they know that they saw something above and beyond the "norm".

The Mac isn't going to turn you into a superstar overnight. But it does give you a head start :) It's not any one thing that'll do it. But eventually people notice that you're always the one who puts out the great DVDs, does the great slide shows, never seems to have problems with the projector, always seems to be the first one to connect to the public wireless network without any glitches, never seems to curse because the latest patch blew up your favourite app..... and eventually people realize there's something different going on.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Just to prove that you don't really do more 'work' on a Mac when compared to a PC: This paper is going to earn a failing mark no matter which OS you use. ;)

21. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

that was an insanely good way to put it. and thats the reason i bought a mac. thanks for justifying my purchase. the other posters made me feel like i wasted 2 grand

22. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

23. Xavier macrumors 68020

I did speeches on Apple only because it was an easy topic to talk about/an easy A

24. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'll go with that. If the paper's going to get any type of good marks, it should present both sides of an argument, and offer a personal opinion as to why the writer thinks Macs are better.

...although, the OP asked for information about a paper explaining why Macs are awesome, which they are. He didn't ask for why Macs are better.

-

It's blindly stupid to say both are 'equal' - after all, we choose one product over another because of it's reputation (a Honda over a Ford, for example.. or whatever the comparison is). To say that both are equal makes no sense whatsoever. They are both made by different companies - different engineers, different software developers (for the OS), and outside of some shared components, different manufacturers. One is bound to have strengths the other one lacks. Ultimately, it's what you personally prefer. Pick one you're happy with.

25. iOrlando macrumors 68000

with a mac you also buy a community...sort of like buying friends in a frat.

you buy a mac , and you feel connected to others like on macrumors. You can then easily come on here and post your questions/talk about apple..etc... I dont know of any easy way to do this with windows since there are so many crap PC out there.

the other main reasons are quality and design. (and customer service). Those 4 reasons to me add up to the 300-350 price difference.