Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
How difficult of a process is this? I have a great idea for an app that people that fell into its niche would really benefit from but don't know if making one is a huge undertaking. Any thoughts?? The app itself would be based on boy scout badges and would be made for den leaders but usable for parents too. I found a couple poor excuses for this app and would really like to find out more about creating one.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
Depends if you have had any programming experience before or not. If you have you will be able to pick it up easier then having no experience I would say.

Anyway there are many resources to learn such as many different books, video and documentation on Apple's developer site and also if you go on iTunes U there are video lectures of an iPhone Development Course from Stanford.

If you aren't committed to spending the time learning the language then maybe you could pay a developer to make the app for you.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
You've got to have an iMac/MacBook and install Xcode. Then, you have to learn how to program in Objective-C and Cocoa. When you do that you'll be able to make applications for mac OS X and iOs.

PS I forgot you have to pay Apple $99 annually in order to be a registered developer and allowed to test your programs on the iPad. Bear in mind all books on Objective C and Cocoa presume you have previous programming experience, those books won't teach you how to program but how to use the language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.