Writing and selling a book.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shamus, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I have a month between now and having to start preparing for university, and my parents are saying I should go get a job. I agree, as I do need to save money.

I am writing a book at present, i have only just started. I hope to get about 100 pages, or around 20,000 words. I am thinking of self-publishing it, and trying to sell as many as possible.

I have worked out the cost of production will be $1.40. I live in a town with population 5000. Do you think it would be possible to sell 500 copies at $4.00 each?

Hypothetically, would you buy a book, self-published and from an author you have never heard about, for $4.00?

Thanks for all the feedback :)

2. shecky Guest

shecky

how are you producing the book? if you go print on demand (lulu.com for example) then you can reach a global audience (theoretically). i mention this as i think selling to 10% of your community is EXTREMELY optimistic. however selling 500 copies to the entire planet is a lot more realistic.

and yes, i would buy a $4 self published book if it was on a topic i was interested in AND/OR was well designed - especially if it was handmade.

3. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Thankyou very much for that website! I didnt even know it existed!

I agree 500 is optimistic, but I was also thinking of travelling to Melbourne and trying to sell copies on the streets in the city.

I planned to print the book onto a4, bind it somehow.

4. shecky Guest

shecky

you should also look at any local, independent and used bookstores (eg not owned by Amazon, Barnes + Noble, etc.) as they have been known to let people sell self-published books on consignment, etc.

you can also think about setting up a website and offering the book as a PDF for a paid download. then your production costs are almost zero, other than hosting and paypal fees.