Writing iPhone Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Futhark, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Hi all, I'm not an app developer but I have purchased several books to try and get started but here's my concern. I've noticed when a new iOS comes out some apps simply won't work on the new version but once the developer updates their app things work again.

What I'm asking is why can an app stop working when the iOS is updated? My concern here is if I learn to write an app and get it published and down the line a new iOS comes out and my app stops working I'm scared I might not have the knowledge to fix it with the new iOS. Does this make sense? Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Most of the time certain functions are deprecated ahead of time, which means Apple will mark certain things that won't be available in future and list replacements for them so if you don't switch to the new way then eventually your app will break. Most of the apps that break are doing things in non standard ways.

3. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Ah so if I write an app and use a feature that gets removed in a future iOS my app will no longer run?

4. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark