Writing to HFS Standard Volumes in 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bunnspecial, May 8, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Because I still use OS 9 a fair bit, I often find myself formatting flash drives in HFS Standard so that they are useable in OS 9. I also often-out of convenience-download files on my Macbook Pro and then find myself having to use a second flash drive to transfer them to a computer running 10.5 to put them on a flash drive that's readable in OS 9.

Somewhere along the way(I think maybe at 10.7), OS X lost the ability to write to HFS Standard. It will read such volumes, but just not write to them.

I realize I'm probably one of very few people who have been inconvenienced by losing this ability, but am wondering if there exists a 3rd party utility that will allow me to write to HFS standard. Does anyone know of one?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Wasn't support for Extended added in OS 8.1? I'm not sure why you're using Standard in the first place (although I haven't used OS 9 for a few years so I may be misremembering).

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That's actually a good point-I have a lot of computers that dual boot OS 9 and some version of OS X, and both peacefully co-exist on the same HFS+ drive.

I'm guessing it's an issue specific to USB mass storage devices. Any time I plug an HFS+ one into an OS 9 system, I get an error that the disk is not readable and needs to be initialized. When I initialize it, the only option I have is HFS standard.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm. Do you have a spare drive that you can test with? It sounds like you may be formatting with GPT instead of APM on the OS X machine. I'm fairly certain that I've used HFS+ USB drives under OS 9, and a quick Google search didn't turn up any problems.

The other possibility is that modern versions of OS X are using a "version" of HFS+ that's too new (I know that there have been some tweaks over the years but I don't know whether they're breaking changes). It might be worth reformatting a spare drive on your 10.5 machine and trying that.

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Because I primarily play with PPC machines(my Intel Macs are for work) I'm in the habit of formatting drive in APM by default.

I certainly have enough spare drives lying around to try, though, so I'll do some experimenting.

I had also been under the impression that FAT32/MBR was readable under OS 9. I don't think I've had issues getting an internal hard drive that was so formatted to read under OS 9, but again external mass storage devices seem to be a different story.

Perhaps the option that's the easiest is to download in 10.5 when I need to...

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are correct. Apple adopted HFS+ with Mac OS 8.1. Mac OS 8.1 continued to work just fine with HFS, but HFS+ was much more efficient. I have fond memories of converting-in-place the HDD in my primary computer.

The takeaway message is that you are correct. The OP's installation of Mac OS 9 can read and write HFS/HFS+ volumes without issue. I have to wonder about the communication protocol of his USB thumb drives. In particular, which version of USB do they use. IIRC, all Mac OS 9-bootable computers are limited to USB 1.1. Although USB 2 devices are supposed to be backward-compatible with USB 1, I seem to recall that this is not always the case.

7. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I suspect that you're right about it being an issue peculiar to using a USB 2.0 mass storage device.

There is no USB 2.0 support in OS 9. I don't think Apple shipped a computer with USB 2.0 until 2003(I think PowerMac G5s were the first to get it in June of that year), which was over a year after Steve Jobs held the "funeral" for OS 9. I'm not aware of any USB 2.0 equipped Macs that can natively boot into OS 9. I have several PM G4s(and even a beige G3) that have USB 2.0 PCI cards in them. The USB ports on these cards work under OS 9, but at USB 1.1 speeds. I think support for USB 2.0 came with OS X 10.2.7 or so(whatever version the first generation G5s shipped with). I have a G4 with every version of OS X from Public Beta to 10.5 installed, and if I get a chance I'll double check on that.

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Okay, I think I might have found a way around the problem, even though it doesn't solve what I initially asked.

I needed to move some files from my MBP onto a Titanium Powerbook earlier this evening.

I took a relatively empty Kingston USB 3.0 8gb drive(I needed data off a work computer running Windows 2000, and Win2K screwed it up to where it only had 200mb of useable space. I was done with it for that purpose). In any case, I stuck the drive in a Powerbook G4(DLSD) running 10.5.8. I used Disk Uitility to format is as Mac Extented(NOT JOURNALED) and APM.

The drive was 100% readable and writable under both OS 9.2.2 and 10.9.5. Journaling may have been my issue earlier(although I doubt is, as I dual boot OS 9 and OS X off HFS+ journaled internal drives), or maybe it was just the brand of flash drive I was using. In any case, it seems to be working fine with this particular combination.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Good to hear that you got it working :)

Journalling certainly isn't the issue - Apple shipped at least one machine with OS 9 preinstalled on a journalled drive!

10. bunnspecial, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I didn't think it was. In fact, I think that this particular Mac(1ghz TiBook) would have been one of the ones shipped with a journaled drive. The restore disks for it are similar to those for the MDD in that they actually install OS X 10.2(.3 I think) and then dump an OS 9 system folder in for classic support. Of course, in MDDs(non FW800) and TiBooks, the OS 9 system folder is bootable-I just don't think that Apple wanted you to use it other than for Classic mode :)

These late versions of OS 9 can be a real pain to track down. You need one for every computer model-the last retail disk released was 9.2.1, and many of them have hardware(especially graphics cards) that the retail disk doesn't carry drivers for. I think every OS 9 booting computer made in 2002 and maybe even late 2001 needed them. I know at least I've needed to find them for my iBook G3(800mhz), TiBook(both 867mhz and 1ghz) and MDD/MDD2003. Fortunately, I did get the restore disks for one of the MDDs I bought somewhere along the way-and that's a lot of the reason why I bought the computer. The folks over at OS9Live recently put together a "universal" OS 9.2.2 install, although I prefer getting the correct one when I can.