Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nim6us

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Every time I want to write a file to a NTFS external drive I have to load up my Windows VM and copy it that way. Surely in 2014 there has to be a way within OS X to do this, no?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Every time I want to write a file to a NTFS external drive I have to load up my Windows VM and copy it that way. Surely in 2014 there has to be a way within OS X to do this, no?

OS X cannot write natively to NTFS partitions.

The best way is to use a 3rd party solution like Paragon NTFS or Tuxera NTFS.

There is also an unorthodox way to natively enable OS X to write to NTFS partitions. Because this feature is officially unsupported by Apple, NTFS should not be considered a reliable cross-platform file system for moving files between a Mac and a NTFS partition.

The unorthodox way is detailed here: http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/02/enable-ntfs-write-support-mac-os-x/

nim6us

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Paragon, is a fantastic solution! Works just like I wanted, priced reasonably, definitely worth $20 in my book, thanks for the tip!

However, I'm sure this will just be speculation, but why do you think Apple wouldn't do this themselves? If I'm Apple I want to make it as easy as possible for Windows users to use their data to entice them to move. I mean I'd like to eXFat take off, it's just not a commonly used file system outside desktop and laptop, most consumer devices can't handle eXFat. We need a good common file system. Just my two cents.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
My seagate externals came with a NFTS utility for writing to it. (I don't use it since I wiped them and formatted to Mac Native) But you should check the manufactors website

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.