Writing Utensils

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DrewDaHilp1, Feb 9, 2010.

1. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So I was sitting here at work bored and was wondering if anyone else is like me (in that they like a particular type of writing utensil/s). I would say about 90% of the time I use a mechanical pencil (Pentel's P205) I like having an ample supply of lead on hand within the pencil itself and the P205's are excellent quality and offer great dependibility. I've never had one break on me and the cost (about $7 in my parts) is reasonable.

[​IMG]

I ordered Pentel's Kerry Mechanical Pencil last week and will hopefully get soon(hurry up!!). It looks awesome and well refined so hopefully I am as happy with that as I am with the P205's.

[​IMG]

When it comes to pens I like the liquid ink more than ball points (it just takes some time to getting used to giving the ink a few seconds to dry. Here's a pic of my preferred pen, the Uni-Ball Vision Exact.

[​IMG]

Let's see if I'm the only weird pen/pencil guy on here:D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I go through cycles with pencils. I go mechanical for months, then one day miss good old fashioned pencils and use those for a few months. Then I rediscover mechanicals. Repeat.

I haven't used a decent pen in a while, my company uses the crappiest stuff around. :rolleyes:

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I lose pens like you wouldn't believe so I stick to the cheap ones that are like a dollar for a pack of 12. I like nice pens, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on one that I know will be missing in a month ;)

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I really like the Pilot Varsity ...

Attached Files:

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

You and me both. I don't write - usually - with anything but those. I have one on me all the time.

I wish I could find the brand that makes (or made) a retractable fountain-tip. They were several hundred dollars, but the coolest pens...

7. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I had one of those once, I really liked it but once the ink ran out I couldn't find another one and forgot which store I bought it from :(

Something like this?

http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Namiki-Namiki-Vanishing-Point-Fountain-Pen-Blue-Carbon

Looks uber nice, not sure that I'd spend that much money on it though, maybe if I had extra cash laying around

This looks even better

http://www.coloradopen.com/product/Pilot_Vanishing_Point_Kit_Black_with_Silver_Trim/Pilot_Vanishing_Point_Kit
    Now if I can only find that much money laying around somewhere in my house

8. bern1812 macrumors member

I am quite partial to the Clickable Sharpie Pens, thats usually what I take all my notes in. For exams I go with a mechanical pencil, the same as the one the OP likes

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

[​IMG]

I like the Paper Mate PhD for both pens and mechanical pencils. I tend to grip way too hard, so it's helpful for it to be a bit thicker and have some cushion at the end.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I do believe Namiki was the brand! I've search high and low with all manner of retractable fountain style pens and haven't been able to turn it up. The model I remember seeing was a bit fancier if I recollect correctly, but the name was Namiki, I'm almost positive.

Many thxnks :)

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Pilot G2 Fine (0.5) in Blue

Papermate PhD Ultra mechanical pencil

12. macbook yes macrumors 6502

13. davejey macrumors newbie

Fountain Pen

This is the pen I mostly use, its an English Conway Stewart fountain pen (vintage) writes beautifully. I paid $23NZ for it on trade-me.

[​IMG]
    ;) Cheers, davejey :)

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Same here. My hands are big, and it's more comfortable for me to grip a bigger diameter pen/pencil.

15. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

I would say the Left handed Lamy Safari. Quite nice to write, or sometimes sketch with.

[​IMG]

16. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I use a Parker Jotter ballpoint and mechanical pencil. Have done every day for years. They just feel right in my hand.

[​IMG]