Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I have no clue here so I thought I would toss it out. Is there an app that can run on an iPad when I get one that will allow me to use xcode or a simple version of xcode to write ipad/iphone apps on my iPad?

Thanks!

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
That's a bummer. Woulb be nice to have the programing book and just the iPad to work with while on the road.

Thanks.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
This topic has come up before. It might be possible to have your source files on the iPad and edit them but there's little likelihood of having gcc present to check syntax. In theory Apple could do this if they wanted but I doubt that they would.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've done it, using VNC and RDP apps. Sort of usable, but the current Xcode UI really needs a larger display. If you know how to develop using the command-line, SSH-ing into a Mac actually works better. You can use iDisk or something like DropBox to have your source code files accesible from both the iPad and the Mac.

A touch-centered UI that runs Xcode remotely via AppleScript or some other protocol sent over the net might be the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.