Writing zeros to an external disk. . .

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghboard2010, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ghboard2010 macrumors member

Aug 7, 2010
    Dont look now, I'm right behind you
    When attempting to zero out the data on an external FW800 drive, I see these little gems.

Hmmm. . . This is "quick" ?!?; Really?.

Gee, good thing I didn't select the 7-, or 35-pass option!

Does anyone have a suggestion about how to speed this up? I really do not think eight hours to write zeros to any size disk in a single pass qualifies as quick.:confused:

BTW, the 8 hour indication was at the 1 hour 20 minute point in this process; sheesh, even 1hr.+ ain't what I'd call "quick"
  2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    Writing 2TBs of data via Firewire 800 will take time, and 8 hours sounds about right, I come up with 500 minutes using a write speed of 70MB/s.
    Even if you would not have been limited by FW800 and only by the maximum HDD speed (around 105MB/s), it would still take 322 minutes.

Btw, your signature alludes to you having 12MB of RAM, are you sure about that?
  3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2010
    It took my Windows 7 computer around 45-60 minutes to zero out my 250GB internal drive in a single pass, so I'll say that 8 hours for a 2TB drive is pretty damn quick. When I got my external USB 1.5TB Western Digital drive, I did a full format on it and it took nearly 24 hours to complete. :eek:
  4. ghboard2010 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 7, 2010
    Dont look now, I'm right behind you

Well we'll fix that; there fixed

Well gee, I guess when the dialog panel says "This is quick...", 'quick' is a actually a useless, meaningless term with no basis in the real world. 'Tis a pity that!:(