Wrong Apple ID on iPhoto update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Killerbob, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I am trying to update iPhoto from 9.5 to 9.5.1. However, when I try to update in the App Store, I get a funky message, to "sign in to download from the Apple Store", and the Apple ID (which I cannot change) is not mine! It is some funky Apple ID, which I have never heard about...:confused:

What is going on? I never used to have any problems, but I also used to be able to download updates, and just apply them manually.

2. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

In the App Store, if you go up to the menu bar and click on "Store", at the bottom of the menu that pops down, who is currently logged into the App Store? If it's the account you're talking about above, sign them out and then sign in as you.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

In my instance, my accounts correct and when I go to install new items the correct apple id is used. It is just the iPhoto update that has a random apple id and it is greyed out so I can't change it. I upgraded my Mac Mini to Mavericks and updated iMovie recently without any issue, this issue is just with iPhoto.

----------

Okay, after entering my password to view my account, I then went back to update iPhoto and it has updated successfully. Very weird. Never seen this behaviour before.

5. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

@Donka, yes it did start with "Super", and I do not recognise it at all. I even started worrying I had been hacked somehow...

@aristobrat, it is my own Apple ID which is logged into the store at any time. I can logout, and login again, and when I try to update iPhoto it tries a wrong Apple ID every time.

I eventually did the same on my MBA, and there it worked. I deleted iPhoto from my MP, and then copied the updated version of iPhoto from my MBA to the MP, and now it is fine. There is no longer an update waiting, and it looks right.

At least I know the solution, but what was the problem in the first place?

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Yes, I was exactly the same. Weirdly I could download new apps and it would promot for the correct Apple ID and download. As soon as I logged in to view my account details, I tried give iPhoto update again and this time it worked. Before that, I tried the update about five times and every time it had the same strange gmail account in the Apple ID field.