Wrong data in Health app?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by felixen, Nov 9, 2014.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Is anyone else getting wrong data in the health app? The step counter and the stairs counter are both very wrong when I check the data in the app. I'm hoping the sensors in my iPhone 6 aren't F'd... How's the data for you guys, does it seem accurate?

2. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Apparently, most people are not critical in their thinking, they just accept what is spoon-fed to them. As long as the app shows pretty zigzag graphs, they are happy. Never mind that the numbers can be as far from reality as iOS is from sanity. It could be showing Apple stock graph as your steps and nobody will notice. LOL

P.S. Can you post your test results in this thread?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1816461

4. aham23 macrumors regular

How are you cross checking the data? With another App or with a separate activity tracker?

5. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

6. aham23 macrumors regular

7. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not cross checking with any other app. But for instance, I checked the app both times I visited my grandparents recently and they live on the 4th floor, so I obviously walked a decent number of stair steps. The app doesn't show this.

The very first staircase data I have from a few days after I got my iPhone 6 is 1 step. And I remember on that day I walked more than one stair step.

The actual step counter also seems funky, but it's easier for me to confirm something is up with the stair counter since it's easier for me to think back on how many steps I've walked up and when I did so.

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

In other words, iPhone as a health monitor is 100% useless.

9. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Correct

10. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Maybe your phone has a duff barometric sensor. It relies on air pressure readings to figure out if it's going up or down.

When working out how many steps you've taken, it relies on an accelerometer sensor. Undoubtedly there is some internal algorithm that tries to match actual sensed acceleration with steps taken. There will always be some degree of error. For example, plopping your phone on a table and lifting it off again: is that technically a step or not.

In my experience, my phone records the number of steps I've taken remarkably well. If I walk 1,000 paces (I've tried it) it won't be off by more than a few steps. The same would not be true if I shuffled along in an abnormal walking manner.
    Do some proper experiments and record the results. You could have duff sensors.

11. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input man. I'll try and test some more

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Here is some data for you: I have a 64gb 6+

1. I live in an apartment and climb 1.5 flights of stairs to get to my door.
    There are times, as long as a week where Health shows no stair activity. Including store, mail, daily walks (by doctor direction), beach (I live close to it) I go up and down the stairs multiple times per day. My daily average according to my device, is 1.

2. To combat my blood pressure, I walk most evenings and mapped myself several "routes" from 2 miles to 5 miles. Health consistently under scores the distance walked. This is generally by 15 - 25 percent. I have measured the distance with my car, on Google maps and a hand held GPS trail tracker. The straighter the distance (less turns and curves) the more accurate the device is.

3. Number of steps - I took a walk on a beach path (marked in distance for joggers) walking 1.2 miles each way. Not only did the 6+ under report the distance (1.78 vs. 2.4 actual) it under counted the steps by just over 200 in comparison to a pedometer I took with me.

At this point, yes, the Health feature from an activity tracking perspective is incorrect. No, I do not think it is a faulty device. I have a peer at work who is experiencing a similar issue with his 6+.

btw: on my 5S and now my 6+, I have yet to find an app that is consistently accurate (or close) for these types of activities. As for the 6+, it consistently under reports by varying degrees. I am considering a Fitbit.

13. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds very familiar. I hope the Apple Watch will be better at these tasks