Wrong Date/Time/Unsecure Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ImYourVillain, Oct 30, 2009.

1. ImYourVillain macrumors newbie

ImYourVillain

Hello Everyone,

Over the past 3-4 days I have been experiencing a few problems with my MacBook Pro. I purchased it back in May so I haven't had it too long and I have not started to have these problems until recently.

Sometimes when I turn on my MacBook the date and time will be wrong. It will be set to Dec. 31 2000 and the time will be out of whack. Also, when I try to use my wireless router to connect to the internet it will give me this odd page and it will say my connection is unsecure and then it will have a big button that I can click that says GET ME OUT OF HERE.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my Mac and how I could fix it? Thanks for the help!

-V

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Issue #1 sounds like an issue with the PRAM battery on the logic board. On a PC this component would be known as the CMOS battery, it's what allows the computer to keep track of the system time even when it's powered off. If the battery cannot maintain a constant from of power, that's why the clock and date/time keep resetting. #2 sounds like a DNS changer which is redirecting all your Safari pages to that fake message. Did you install software that you didn't read up about before hand, enter in your admin password for some software claiming to be a video codec for the Mac OS? #1 is likely to be a hardware issue, #2 is a software one, you could try to isolate down the particular plugin but I'm not aware of a resource to track that down, maybe someone else does?

3. ImYourVillain thread starter macrumors newbie

ImYourVillain

Thanks for the response! I read over your comment and I will try to look into it further, all of it makes sense to me. I am wondering if that "fake" internet page is due to the fact that I download music/movies using torrents? Maybe something slipped by that's causing the problem with my Mac.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Again thanks for responding Jedi. You've been very helpful and I will continue to look into it.