Wrong device icon in iCloud backup?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Gjwilly, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I've got two iPhones, two iPads, and an iPod Touch and when I go to manage the iCloud backups on any of the iOS devices, all of them show the right icon except for the iPod.
    The iPod has a white icon when the device is actually black.
    The white iPhone and the black iPhone both show the right color.
    The two black iPads both show as black.
    The iPod correctly shows itself as black inside iTunes.
    Anyone ever see this before and know why it might be doing this?

2. saintpako macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have the exact problem for my son's iPod Touch 4G, it's a black version, but under

Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calender>Account>iCloud>Storage & BackUp>Manage Storage>Backups

It shows a White icon.

I've verified by going on iCloud - find my device, it also shows a white one. Similar to your observation, it's correctly shown under iTunes, a black iPod Touch 4G icon.

I've heard my friend's iPhone 4 also has similar problems, his phone is white but it shows a black iPhone 4 via iCloud.

Hope someone can shine some light on how to fix this?

3. MacSince'85 macrumors member

Me too

Ever since our iPod touch was replaced last year due to a defective home button the new one shows up as white in iCloud when it is in actuality black. Maybe it is an effort or Apple's part to be non-discriminatory:D. I will be calling apple with an iTunes problem on my new iPad and will try to remember to ask then.

4. MacSince'85 macrumors member

One in a million

The Apple service manager whom I spoke with chuckled and said she had never seen this before - estimating this fluke (likely a data entry error attached to the serial number) was probably one in a million. It doesn't look like there is any way to correct it though - let's just count ourselves among a select few.

5. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816