Wrong disk space available?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vrenna, Sep 1, 2010.

1. vrenna macrumors newbie

vrenna

Hi there! I'm using a 1 Gb pen drive, and I've just noticed that I can't even change a file's name because the system says something like "the operation cannot be completed because the disk "x" is full. Delete some files and try again" (please note that my system is in Spanish and the translation might differ).

The point is that I can see "85 MB available" in the status bar... Some files I can change them, some others I can't... I can copy some files and some others I cannot... What's going on here?? :confused:

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

corrupt com.apple.finder.plist?

...to find out, move it to your Desktop and Restart

Look here:
    Home/Library/Preferences

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Make sure you don't have anything in the Trash waiting to be deleted. It's still taking up space on the flash drive until you empty the Trash.

jW

4. vrenna thread starter macrumors newbie

vrenna

solution

This is what I did, guys: throwed "com.apple.finder.plist" away, emptied the trash, deleted all Mac hidden files... but still it didn't work. Having more than 90 free MB, I wasn't able to copy a single mp3.

However, finally I saw one "strange" thing: it was a FAT-16 usb formatted disk. Went to Windows, changed to FAT32 and now it works fine. Looks like Mac is not used to deal with old technologies :eek: