Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sepandee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I'm connected directly to a Motorola modem on an ethernet connection, so no routers in the way. But today for some reason when I plugged in the ethernet cable, the internet wasn't working. I powered off the modem twice for 30 seconds and still nothing happened. This had happened last week as well and when i restarted my computer everything was fine, but this time I had some important documents open and I dind't want to close them. So I searched the internet on how to reset my IP, thinking that would correct the problem. I went in terminal and typed in the following command:

sudo /sbin/ifconfig en0 down

and then

sudo /sbin/ifconfig en0 up

Still nothing worked. Then I noticed that the PC/Activity light on my modem was not even blinking (not sure if that was teh case before I typed the commands or not). I went into my network configuration and under ethernet, it's configured to use DHCP (which is fine) but the IP address is 192.168.100.11 which is the IP address for a router. But I HAVE NO ROUTER! And I don't know what else to do. Restarting the computer didn't help either.

HELP?? (please:confused:)

sepandee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Never mind, I fixed the problem, and oh boy do i feel stupid today. I had accidentally pressed the standby button and somehow missed seeing the standby light. That was pretty dumb of me...

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Just FYI, most highspeed modems still have a configuration page that you can access through an address such as 192.128.100.1. A modem is basically a router with one port. (Well that's too over simplified, but works in this case).

sepandee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Just FYI, most highspeed modems still have a configuration page that you can access through an address such as 192.128.100.1. A modem is basically a router with one port. (Well that's too over simplified, but works in this case).

Hey you're write! I just accessed it.
Good to know. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.