Wrong label?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Claust, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Claust macrumors newbie

Ordered a BTO top-specced iMac Dec. 3. from a reseller, and just recieved it tonight (super fast delivery!), but...

The label on the box says 675MX, and I ordered 680MX :-(((

Have any of you ever heard of the label being incorrect, or should I just not open it and return it? Don't want to break the seal if its not the right config, in my experience a return is 10 times easier if its not opened...

I looked for a place online where i could check the exact spec based on serial number, but couldn't find such an option anywhere..

Will of course call the reseller tomorrow, but after 3 months wait I want answers NOW ;-)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Claust thread starter macrumors newbie

Confused...

The specs on the link says 680MX....

What do you think ? Could the label really be wrong?

4. simsaladimbamba

The label could be wrong, but where do you get the serial number from? The label probably?

[​IMG]

If so, it is more likely, that the serial number is correct and the 675/680 part is a misprint.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

They ordered it from Apple, so the CTO specs on the label should be accurate. I'd contact the reseller, more than likely they didnt select the 680 GPU during purchase even though the order info states otherwise.

ask if its okay to power on the machine to verify, otherwise they need to order you the correct iMac.

6. oldgeezer macrumors member

Open it up, plug it in, turn it on, click on the Apple, click on About this Mac, then click on More Info. The machine will tell you what's really inside.

No reseller can refuse the return of a machine that doesn't conform to the spec that was ordered and paid for.

7. Claust thread starter macrumors newbie

Label Was right, online Info specs Was Wrong. :-(

Returning it of course, i won't be enjoying Easter with my new iMac after 3 months wait. Will go Play some golf instead. Oh no, wait, it just started snowing again..... :mad:

Only positive Thing is, now online store Says 3-5 business days.

8. Raima macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear. Hope the new one comes in soon. See if you can hold onto the current one until the new one arrives and then swap over then.

9. jDW194 macrumors member

seriously ? Why does anyone use a reseller?

I ordered mine more than 1 month after you, recieved it a month before you, and got exactly what I asked for. I did the whole thing online, took a few minutes , got email confirmation then an email notifying me it was ready to ship, shipped , and delivered.

I even added Fusion drive by phone two weeks after initial order, spoke to lovely lady , sorted instantly ... no hassle.

What does a reseller offer that i missed out on, other than an unacceptable wait time and ****ing the order up?

The whole reseller thing seems a total sham... :mad:

10. simsaladimbamba

Often you can the same configuration for less, especially when there is no Apple Store around anyway.

I got all my Macs from resellers, even had my iBook repaired by one reseller and its own warranty and always saved 200 to 300 € per Mac.

11. jDW194 macrumors member

no you are right thats good... but I would expect a 200 -300 Euro discount for waiting 3 months, basically its compensation for going to the back of the que ...fair enough.

12. simsaladimbamba

Okay, I was ignoring the iMac shipping issue, though the past reseller I used for my two previous Macs has many CTO/BTO models in stock and even in several of their shops.

13. Raima, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

Raima macrumors 6502

There are certain scenarios where it's better to use a reseller over Apple directly.

For instance, I got 10% off CTO, used a $300 gift card, and earned a $60 gift voucher from the points I earned from the purchase.

What was supposed to cost me $3069 AUD from Apple, ended up costing me $2403 AUD!

That's a saving of $666!!!