Wrong MBP, To keep or not to keep...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apthai86, Jun 11, 2009.

1. apthai86 macrumors member

So long story short, I called to place a hold on the new MBP. When I went to buy it, I did not look at the specs carefully. I ended up getting the previous model. I've been looking around and comparing the specs, what would you do in my case, based on features/specs?

Previous

Intel C2D 2.66Ghz 6MB L2
    nVidia 9400m & 9600m GT /w 512mb
    ExpressCard Slot (This is very useful because I can use a eSATA card)

Current
    Intel C2D 2.66Ghz 3MB L2
    nVidia 9400m & 9600m GT /w 256mb
    7 Hr Battery Life
    SD Slot (I don't have any camera that would use this slot)

Those are the only big differences between the two that I see. Is there anything else that I'm missing that would make the new one a lot better?

Both are the same price Brand new... $1849 (student discount).

Let me know your input as I've called the Apple store and they said I can bring it in and exchange it. Thanks!

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you paid the same price as the new model, I personally would keep it. It has a better processor, and better GPU, which to me, are more important than the other differences between the two. Don't forget that it can also support 8GB of RAM like it's newer siblings. Basically you just need to weight the processor and GPU against the battery and possibly slightly better screen, since you can always get an SD-card reader for very little money for the expresscard slot.

3. apthai86 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I was mainly looking at the CPU and GPU. Overall it a really nice laptop and I'm content with the previous model. It just sucks that I was expecting the new one and got an old one. Part of me is glad because I got a better spec'd one (at least I think its better).

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that is really worth it on the new model.

So does the previous model really support 8GB of RAM? I've been reading and everywhere says 4GB is max but 6GB unofficially works.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would go with the older. Expresscard is worth it and the L2 cache.

I do believe the 2.66 15" unibodies could do 8gb of ram, unofficially.

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I believe that one will go up to 8GB unofficially.

Me personally, I would trade the very very slightly faster CPU and higher VRAM for the longer battery. Otherwise besides the battery I wouldn't really care.

6. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

How big of a difference does the cache really make?

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's 2 hours more, so it's not that significant, to me at least. It's all up to the OP's working conditions.