Wrong of me?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shivermetimbers, Sep 14, 2009.

1. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

So is it wrong of me to peddle Apple? I came back off deployment to Kuwait/Iraq. I saw many PC laptops crap the bed.....could be any reason. Those there saw my 17" uMBP sail through the stupid hot/dusty Kuwait summer and a trip to Iraq. Dust-it, iKlear and Booq Vyper were my buddies. My MBP still performs and looks brand new. A few asked me, well, 4 to be exact. They are now Apple converts.

Oh yeah....iChat helped stay in touch with the wifey. Those that used skype or anything else had a hell of a time. Communication with the family is important on deployments. iChat worked well even with crappy internet speeds.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

I am a Apple fanatic. I try to be reserved and some do not appreciate it. If they ask... tell them.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nothing at all wrong with that.

Thank you for your service, and I'm glad you made it home safely.:)

5. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. It was my pleasure! I do it for the love of our freedoms.

I would awake to the sounds of my room-mate punching the hell out of his HP because is was all messed up and he could not connect with his wife. Its was hosed up to begin with....

While I am not an advocate of punching a computer. I let him use my MBP once to talk to his wife. He now has a MB and an iMac.

A few guys that saw our trip pics on iPhoto were impressed. They are now looking at Macs. I spouted off to those that would listen.

I also went off on the base exchange for not carrying any Apple Computers or products. They do now..... as I was leaving. Things are changing....:eek:

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Might have just been your BX, in which case you could have AAFES catalogue ordered them. I've seen Apples in PXs for as long as I can remember.

People think Apples are delicate but I've dragged my PBs and MBPs deserts, jungles, river deltas, mountains and environments that would make a Dell cry, all with very little problems. Short of fully-rugged or semi-ruggedized notebooks, there's not a lot that will do you better. I prefer Pelican, Rhinoskin and MacTruck over Booq for carry though.

7. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

We have had Mac's in my home base BX for a few years now. They are base models. Ali Al Salem in Kuwait does not carry Mac's. I ventured over tot he Army side of the house (LSA) and checked their PX....same thing...nada. Although, with enough carping, they started to carry MacBooks in our BX there at Ali....they were on display for no more than an hour before they were sold out.

My uMBP worked awesome in Kuwait and Iraq. I did read a story in the new MacLife magazine. The article name is, "Into Thin Air, Packing MacBooks." Very interesting about MacBooks being used on Mt. Everest! That has to be the most unforgiving environment on Earth.

8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Ah, I misread where 'here' was. Apples have always been one of the quick sells out in the economy, especially the ROK and JPN.

As for environments, I don't think the base camp of Everest is all that inhospitable (summit is obviously another story) for computers. IMO, windy deserts and riverine enviros are much more hostile for moving small moving parts and electronics.