Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Okay, so I've been having a weird Quicktime glitch. Whenever I try to open new movies, the Quicktime window randomly begins to shrink width-wise. E.g., what was one a widescreen movie, pixel-by-pixel resizes itself until it's taller than it is wide. Now this had me stumped for a while, until I looked into the dock whenever I opened a new movie, and lo and behold, whenever I didn't already have Quicktime open, a new Quicktime icon would appear. Also, whenever I already had Quicktime open, this glitch didn't happen.

So I checked the "About Quicktime" for each Quicktime in my dock, and I figured out what seems to be the problem, and here it is:

Picture1.png

Spotlight couldn't find this mythical Quicktime 7.4.1. The Quicktime in my Applications folder is 7.5, and I can't find any other versions of it anywhere on my hard drive. So where is this extra Quicktime coming from? How do I fix it? I've tried just changing the default file-by-file to 7.5, but every time I do this, it changes itself back to 7.4.1. Help!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have never seen this issue before. I suspect that the cause is that a problem occurred with some past QuickTime update, leaving a partially updated version on your system. The best way I know of to fix this is to perform an Archive and Install of Mac OS X (with the preserve users and network settings option checked) - after this is done you'll need to reapply all software updates, as well as reinstall any applications that came with an installer. Applications that were "drag-installed" can simply be copied over from the archived system into the rebuilt one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.