Wrong Safari icon (OS 10.5)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wackymacky, Mar 4, 2010.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Hi, Im running the most recent build of Leopard (not snow).

Today, Safari has lost it's icon in the App folder, with just a icon of a white page in it's place, correctly labeled.

Clicking on it launchs Safari OK, and strangely the usual Safari icon appears in the dock while the App is open.

What's going on?

Thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've tried to find a plist that might get your safari icon back, but wasn't successful. What you could do is just reinstall Safari though.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you tried repairing permissions and restarting your computer?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I created a new folder, then copied my Safari app's icon and pasted it to the new folder to create a new one. Is there a way to post the Safari icon here so that the same operation could solve this problem?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to upload it to a site where you can provide a link here for the OP to get it.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Right-click on the folder, select "Create Archive", then attach the .zip file to your message. However, I don't think that'll help. There's a Dock cache in the library that you should be able to delete to force the Dock to reinitialize its icons, but I'm not at my Mac right now, so I can't tell you exactly where to find it.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I believe, and I could be wrong, he wants to post the icon on MR so the OP can download it and then all he has to do it replace the icon.

If you think emptying the dock cache will work, then the OP could get MainMenu, Onyx, etc. to do that (I'm not on my Mac either).

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I know that's what he's after, but I don't think that's the problem. Safari shows the correct icon while running, which to me says that the application icon is intact, but the Dock's cache is corrupted.

My instructions would work for uploading the icon, though. Icons applied to folders are stored in metadata, and the only way to preserve that metadata when sharing online is to put it in a .zip or .dmg file. Besides, MacRumors only accepts images and .zip files as attachments.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

But, as I understand the problem, it's with the Safari icon in the Applications Folder, not the Dock. I suppose it could be that the finder.plist is corrupt, but why wouldn't that affect other icons as well?

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's what I thought, as well. Does the finder plist have icon info in it though? I looked at it last night and saw nothing that would have anything to do with icons. However, I couldn't find a plist that had anything to do with icons, except for the dock.

And like I said in the first post, he could just reinstall Safari and his problems would be over.

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution