Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
Apparently it's a lost cause huh?
Here’s an interesting data point from the OP. System voices are working correctly on my Mac mini after updating to Monterey, except for the right-click context menu Speech - Start Speaking. By which I mean that I can select and download any voice including Siri voices, and they work as system voice for announcements, time, etc and also for the keyboard shortcut for Accessibility’s Speak text.

Also odd, on an M1 MacBook Pro also upgraded to Monterey, voice selection works for the right-click Speech menu too.

aviko

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2021
I have an MBP M1 and it doesn't for work for me from the context menu, so...

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I'm having the same problem for a very long time now.
Today I just wanted to try this again. It looks like there are a lot more variants of Siri voices available to select from the "System Voice" drop-down menu.

But as it has always been, none of them work though.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
I'm using macOS Ventura beta, and it finally DOES speak content with the desired voice!

Reactions: MacMan988

jamesmurdza

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2022
I'm using macOS Ventura beta, and it finally DOES speak content with the desired voice!
@Le0M Thanks for reporting. I am wondering if it's fully integrated. Does it also work using the terminal command?

Bash:
say "Which voice is this?"

There is also a command
Bash:
say -v \?
to list the available voices.

Thanks.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
@Le0M Thanks for reporting. I am wondering if it's fully integrated. Does it also work using the terminal command?

Bash:

There is also a command
Bash:
say -v \?

Thanks.

Just tried what you suggested, with different voices... and YES, it does change voice even when using terminal.
And by inserting "say -v \?" a huge list of like 100+ choices appears.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020

Bash:

There is also a command
Bash:
say -v \?

Thanks.

Update: unless I'm having the mac speaking the system language's language, all other languages I downloaded a specific voice for, do not work. It keeps using the default language, which s*ck.
Running Ventura 13.1

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
Update: unless I'm having the mac speaking the system language's language, all other languages I downloaded a specific voice for, do not work. It keeps using the default language, which s*ck.
Running Ventura 13.1
My sense is that for many problems in modern macOS, if the problem isn’t one many/most are experiencing (like earlier speaking problems), either system update (like 13.2) or reinstall of macOS is a potential fix. .X updates have introduced and resolved some problems for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.