Wrong Time on iPod Touch 4G - by 3 minutes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OldCorpse, Feb 15, 2011.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

OK, I don't get this. I bought the iPod Touch 4G 3 months ago, I didn't jailbreak it or anything. I set the time for Cupertino, as I'm in CA. Well, it's always about 3 minutes fast. On my 2009 iMac i7, also set to Cupertino, the time is correct, and matches with the time on my cellphone. I also have an iPod Classic I bought new in 2008, and I rarely synch it, and the time on it is always correct. I regularly synch the Touch with my iMac - like once a day, but it never corrects the time. What gives? This pisses me off, makes all my alarms wrong and generally makes things difficult. What is wrong here?

2. ShinyDren macrumors member

ShinyDren

To my knowledge, the iPod touch does not have the option to update the time automatically (via sync or any other way).

Set it manually via Settings on the iPod.

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Oh, OK. I assumed it was something that got synched automatically. Thanks for setting me straight! I just corrected it through settings. Oh well, the iPT4G is less advanced than I assumed. Maybe it'll be standard in iPT5G :)

4. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Actually, I find my iPod Touch 4G runs 2 minutes earlier than my computer and my mobile phone after I updated it to ios 4.2.1:(

5. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Here's what I find weird. If the iPod doesn't automatically sync with the computer, and you must set the time manually, then what is the point of asking to pick a time zone, like "Cupertino time"? I mean, it is YOU who is setting the time anyway, so what's the function of picking the "Cupertino time" since the iPod is doing no syncing - you are responsible for that, may as well pick "Bollocks Time" since it makes no difference.

6. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I'm guessing for Daylight Savings settings, mainly. Through that, it establishes a time zone. I pick Phoenix cause I live in Tucson, making me on MST-Arizona.

7. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Whether there is an app can automatically sync the time from internet?:confused:

8. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

There is a possibility that one exists that retrieves time from the internet. This app, however, would not be able to modify the system settings of the iPod, or it would be in violation of the Terms of Use.

9. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

+1

10. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

OK, got it, so if we met such trivial problem, we need to modify it manually....

11. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Yes. I can't guarantee it, but I've heard a restore from backup can fix time issues.

12. aNYthing24 macrumors member

This has actually been bugging me for awhile too. I'm glad I read this thread.

13. Panther71 macrumors regular

My time is in sync with my cell phone right now but had to make a two minute adjustment several weeks ago.

14. Aldrich macrumors newbie

shouldn't the clock update time automatically from the internet? If the setting has been kept to update automatically. I guess.

15. patp Guest

my iphone and ipod touch both have the same time. matches my laptop. but my ipad is now 4 minutes fast!
    :confused:

16. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

No way, if you do not open wifi, how could it automatically connect with internet and update the time?:eek:

17. darknite38 macrumors regular

Steps to change time on iPod Touch.

Setting > General > Date & Time > Set Date & Time

18. BlueCat57 macrumors newbie

Time is off

My daughter just commented on the same thing. Her iPod is off by a few minutes. I just reset the whole iPod to fix some other issues.