Wrong Time Settings

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Siron, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I just installed Vista Business 64 bit on a third drive (I have XP Pro on drive 2). Every time I boot to Vista the time always resets to GMT. This doesn't happen in XP. I read in a post here to let Vista connect to a time server to correct the problem. Mine is set to do this but I still get the wrong time.
    Any thoughts?
    Alan

2. peterlobl macrumors regular

I use XP Pro and see the same problem whenever I boot into OSX, then back to XP...

some people say turning off Daylight Savings helps... I tried that and some otehr voodoo - nothing worked!

I just know when I next boot into OSX - the time will be wrong - consistently 4 hrs I think.. probably could write a script to take care of it...

I don't think it is affects anything else

3. Supaklaw macrumors regular

Same here, using XP 64 bit. Time is always off, and I have it set to automatically connect to net to update and it never does. Either ignore it or update it manually every time. Welcome to windows.

4. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

Well after my original post it seems to have fixed itself. I did change the Internet time adjust from the default Apple one to some other so maybe that fixed it.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is caused by Windows and Mac OS X's different ways of handling the time. I believe that Windows stores the local time, and UNIX-like systems such as Mac OS X store the time in GMT AND a local offset. You can't change Windows to behave like Mac OS X does, but it should be possible (with some Terminal voodoo) to make Mac OS X behave like Windows. If you do this, the time sync problem will go away, no time server needed. Alas, I do not know exactly what command you need to use.