WRT54G 6.0 problems. Help please if possible.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by reubs, Apr 6, 2007.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I think my router is dropping the wireless signal in our apartment, and I know it's not a wireless care problem b/c my Macbook picks up every other signal in the apartment building.

I have the router hooked up to the modem, and the desktop PC is wired directly to the router. I should note that the desktop PC has no problems whatsoever connecting to the internet. However, when I try to link up to home network, it doesn't show up at all in my Airport options.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the router, or should I just go ahead and update the firmware? It's less than a year old, so I'm not sure it's crapping out just yet.

2. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Is this a new router, or did you get it from someone else?

I would check the following basic configuration :

1) wireless transmitter enabled
    2) allow broadcast of SSID
    3) At first, disable all encryption to see if you can at least pick it up on your laptop
    4) ensure DHCP is enabled (so the router will dynamically assign an ip address to your computer.
    5) also, ensure the option for only allowing specific mac addresses is disabled (again, just to make sure you can access the router and get an ip address)

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Alright, I'll check on those things when I get a chance. And to answer your question, yes, it was a new router when I got it. Also, everything was fine until two days ago, but I know MS updates can really screw the pooch sometimes. I'll see what I can figure out.

Thanks.