WSJ: Slick, Useful Apps Put the Wow in Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rogifan, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So I wonder if the WSJ got an early look at apps from Apple or from 3rd party developers themselves?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-apple-watch-could-spawn-the-next-billion-dollar-startups-1421022204

[​IMG]

This is where I think Watch could take off where others haven't: killer 3rd party apps available at launch. We really didn't have this with iPhone or iPad.

2. cable0guy macrumors newbie

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Subscription only. :mad:

4. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

It's an interesting article that, thanks for sharing.

I keep wondering about battery life. Tim reckons you will charge every night, but why? There is no GPS, no GSM and you are hardly going to be running massive games on it.

The only thing that will suck power is the screen. But it's not as if you will be looking at your wrist for minutes at a time. If you need to do long winded tasks, you'll use your phone or iPad, right? So the screen will be off 99% of the time.

Unless....it is constantly active and constantly pushing info to you as described in that article.

Possibly.

Might also be a bit annoying if it is vibrating every 5 seconds.

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Perhaps Apple is just being extremely conservative with battery estimates, setting the bar low so they can easily beat it. I just hope they provide us with a better way of managing notifications. I would only want important things pushed to my watch. I guess the question is how easy will it be to flag certain notifications as more important than others?

6. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

The Apple Watch doesn't vibrate. (thankfully!)
    I think the two largest possible "annoyance factors" were ruled out with Apple's tech.
    We all have been distracted by a friend's phone before, vibrating incessantly & lighting up the screen as you try to conversate.
    When he(Tim)described that it will ONLY light up if you raise your wrist or press a button... NOT automatically when a notification comes in, and further that it would NOT vibrate, rather... you'd feel a light tapping on your wrist... I was ecstatic!

7. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

Vibrating, tapping, whatever, it's still going to be annoying when you are conversating.

8. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Well... to YOU perhaps. At least not to others around you. That is the point I'm making... If you have a current gen ringing/buzzing/lighting up smart watch with notifications enabled. You are all but guaranteed to make others cringe. With Apple's implementation, the only person you could possibly be annoying is yourself. And to be fair.... if FB & Twitter notifications on your wrist are too frequent and cause you annoyance, yet you inexplicably refuse to disable them... what on earth would you be thinking?

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

24/7 HR monitoring will suck power.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I do agree that Battery life SHOULD be very very good and better than rivals if you are basically not really using it.

If it just sits on your wrist and you occasionally look at the time, I'd expect people to be reporting that are getting perhaps 2 or even 3 days.

If Apple thinks one day, when USING the watch, just sitting there with the odd glance should use almost no power.

I guess it depends if you can turn off the body monitoring stuff, as let's be honest, the vast majority of people, once the novelty has worn off, won't really be interested in day long reports of body readouts.