WSJ: Verizon to offer unlimited data with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icyfire, Jan 9, 2011.

1. icyfire macrumors 6502

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I hope that's the case but I also hope their network can cope with all the new data plans. Good luck to them. at&t needs some competition with the iPhone plans (they suck).

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The question is how long will they offer unlimited before they begin capping customers.

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

According to the article from the WSJ highly knowledgeable technical writer ATT gives you "2 gigaBITS" for $25.

2 gigabits = 250 megabytes

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

While possible and likely, Verizon has been offering their smart phones with unlimited data plans for a couple of years now. I know my daughter has used 7-10gigs per month with her Fascinate since she got it with nary a warning.

They seem to be more permissive as long as you are only consuming the data via your phone and not using the WiFi hotspot/tethering features.

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This was the case with AT&T as well. They offered unlimited data for years and years until last year I believe is when they began capping customers.

7. icyfire thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm presuming that all carriers will start capping at some point except for some of the smaller players (like metropcs, or boost). At least the fact that Verizon is not capping right now should be good for competition with ATT in the short term.

8. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Verizon will move to tiered plans once they get settled in. They are using unlimited data plans as a lure for current AT&T users without unlimited data who want it.

9. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Totally right.

Honestly, I think the days of "unlimited" even being associated with data plans are over. Sprint customers (all six of 'em!) are the only ones I hear about still looking relatively safe from caps and that's likely because its the only reason to even CHOOSE Sprint these days.

10. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

This will also be a lure for AT&T iPhone customers like me who still have unlimited plans because we were grandfathered. My unlimited data with AT&T is the one thing that makes me hesitate to give up AT&T. If WSJ is correct, I am very happy. I will also lose rollover minutes but I never use them anyway.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

The reality is unless they don't offer unlimited plans for the iPhone V like they have been for all the Android phones, they won't be luring as many subscribers over as they otherwise could.

I'm betting they roll out the door with unlimited and then crimp it later. Meaning good chance you'll still be grandfathered if you jump now.

As of last month, they were actually offering unlimited data plans on their Android phones for $10 off per month, meaning unlimited for $20.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It depends on who else is offering unlimited

I love my iPhone and iPad but my iPhone has unlimited and my iPad has 2gbs and the data cap on the iPad is unbearable for me.

In the future, if my iPhone is capped (as AT&T throws out unlimited even for grandfathered-in people), I will probably look elsewhere for competitors offering good data plans that don't make me feel screwed

Then again, as more companies keep putting caps on their services....makes me wonder if unlimited is going dead all around

13. nosser macrumors regular

how much data are you really using on your iPad tho?

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I think so. With more and more of these Droid/iPhone/WinMo7 phones coming out and keeping you in touch with everything, the days of unlimited data plans are probably singing their death song right about now. AT&T/Verizon are basically just waiting to see what the other one does as far as their pricing. I'm hopeful that, maybe, 2-3 years from now the unlimited plans will be back in full swing if, and when, the companies build up their infrastructure to support more data transmission.

Fortunately, I got grandfathered in with my iPhone 4 so I'm happy. My guess is that whenever I upgrade to the 2012 iPhone, AT&T is probably going to kill my data plan and make me choose one that's capped. If that happens, I'll be looking elsewhere for service.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I have the unlimited plans on both my iPhone and iPad. The best part of unlimited is simply not having to worry about keeping track of the usage. Do I exceed the 2GB cap? Sometimes, but not always.

16. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7