WSOD+power off when sleep+power on only to start up

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 3gs-ios5, Feb 22, 2012.

1. 3gs-ios5 macrumors newbie

So this is my first post and sorry for it being noobish and a repetition thread to many like this.
    I bought an iphone 3gs on iOS 5.x. (the latest) with a problem that it powered off when it was in sleep mode and could only be rebooted when connected to power. it didnt cost me alot and i wanted to be technical with some Apple tech.
    I received the iPhone through post today, connected to power and i was faced with a white screen. google turned up saying WSOD e.t.c. but found the 'solution' of home, volume up and sleep button. this doesnt work for me, i do not get the apple logo coming up, i got a powered black screen once but thats all.
    one attempt went back onto white screen but had grey/coloured lines running from top to bottom on the right side.

What are my options to try here? I am aware it will most probably be hardware so am expecting parts to need to be ordered and am willing to try my luick at fitting them.

(i have opened the iphone, looks clean/un-tampered however ribbon #3 looks like it has been off and replaced at some stage. I have undone and re clipped all ribbons (1,2+3)

any help is appreciated

----------

also does this sound like a dropped iphone?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sounds like a damaged phone or one that had something stop working for whatever reason. I'd suggest selling it back for parts.

3. 3gs-ios5 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh, ok, any ideas on how much it would be worth?

4. 3gs-ios5 thread starter macrumors newbie

could i use the phone without the digitizer?
    im trying to eliminate any potential problems, the screen does the same thing with digitizer un plugged, as it does with it plugged in