Wt. MacBook will not go online WILL connect to router

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wizwaz3, Aug 29, 2009.

1. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

While browsing the web, literally in the middle of an online session, my MacBook just stopped connecting to the internet. It maintained an open connection to the wireless router, but will not go online. My iMac and 2 windows computers are run through the wireless and have not had any problems, so I know it is not the router. I have also restarted the router and the MacBook. When I opened the Network Preferences, I saw "AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet." I've tried to put in manual IPs, but it will only work to connect to one site per IP. I did a search and have found varied responses to similar problems. Mine has 10.5.8 which I hear has a problem with the AirPort (true?). Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I at the mercy of Apple's software updates?

Any help is appreciated!

2. daisun macrumors newbie

Try turning airport off and then on again. Usually a restart of the router or computer fixes these problems but it obviously hasn't worked for you.

Only other thing I can think of is a firewall on your computer is blocking the router from assigning it an ip. Try turning all firewalls off if you have any.

3. creon macrumors 6502

Try a hard restart of the MacBook. My mac does this sometime when I'm on xbox live.

If you are still on AppleCare, give them a call too since the probelm with airport is well documented with the MacBooks.

4. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I tried a hard restart and it was ineffective. I do have my 360 connected via Ethernet. Would it still effect the wifi or would it only interfere if the 360 was USING wifi?

5. jbuk macrumors regular

Go into Sysem Preferences > Network > Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP, and check a few things.

'Configure IPv4' should be set to 'Using DHCP'.

'IPv4 Address' should begin with '192.168.xxx.xxx'

'Subnet Mask' will usually be '255.255.255.0' with a consumer router, but it could also be '255.255.0.0'

'Router' should also begin with '192.168.xxx.xxx'

If any of these are not true, click 'Renew DHCP Lease' and see if that fixes the problem. Else, continue.

Go to the next tab, 'DNS'.

In the 'DNS Servers' list, there should be a grey entry with the IP address of your router (look on the TCP/IP tab if you forgot it).

If that doesn't exist, add the IP address of your router to the list, and see if your problem is fixed.

Next, try adding the IP addresses of 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222. These are the IP addresses of OpenDNS. Check, again, if your problem is fixed.

Hopefully it will be fixed, else you could try making sure all software is up to date on your MacBook.

6. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

jbuk: I tried all of your instructions. Neither my MacBook nor my iMac had a DNS Server listed, but I did add the router address anyways. That didn't make a difference. When I tried:

IPv4: 208.67.220.220
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.0.1

It connected to my home page, but nothing afterward. When it connected, it automatically switched my browser to 'Work Offline' mode.

I've attached images of the settings from the MacBook (1st) and the iMac (2nd). I've tried to use the exact same numbers that the iMac uses and I had the exact same problem as I described with your numbers. I don't have much saved on the MacBook, and nothing I couldn't copy to an external hard drive, so would it be a bad idea to reinstall OSX on the MacBook?

Let me know if I've provided information that draws any other conclusions.

Thank you so much for helping me! I REALLY appreciate it! =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Hmm...Did you check your router to see if there is some sort of ip address range issue there? Because the fact that you get an IP address on the iMac but not the Macbook is suspicious.

8. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I have a 2Wire (2701HG-D) from Qwest; how can I check?

9. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I reinstalled the OS and now my problem is fixed. This thread may be closed.

10. django2000 macrumors newbie

MAcbook connects to router but no internet

I had this problem with new unibody macbook. In network prefs manually assign DNS address in the DNS tab. You can contact your ISP and request these addresses. this fixed the problem for me.

It also fixed terrible slow connection on mac G5 desktop at same time.