WTB: iMac G5 Ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macenvy, Jun 22, 2007.

1. macenvy macrumors newbie

I've only had my mac for a week, and only been on this site for a couple of weeks.

I'd like to upgrade my imac to 2 gbs ram. If anyone has a good suggestion for brand/3rd party seller, I'd like to know.

2. mikehokie macrumors regular

OWC or Crucial RAM

Just google them. Crucial has a nice little program which tells you what type of RAM is compatible in your computer. And OWC generally has cheaper RAM overall.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

The Crucial RAM matcher doesn't work with macs.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You will need to specify which iMac G5 you have. The 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 GHz models have two sockets for PC3200 DIMMs, maximum 2 Gb. DO NOT put generic RAM in these machines, they are the fussiest machines made this century.

The 1.9 and 2.1 GHz 'iSight' models have a single slot for a DDR2-533 DIMM, plus 512 Mb soldered on. It can take a 2 Gb DIMM, for 2.5 Gb maximum.

At Crucial you just do a search for iMac G5 and you will see options,
    Alternatively, OWC and Data Memory Systems will both have what you need and are among the top recommendations from MR users.

I'll repeat though -- the PC3200 DIMMs for the earlier iMac G5s must be tested and Mac compatible, because Kingston ValueRAM and most generics will crash and burn in that model.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com