WTB Mac Pro soon, when is next gen due?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Killerteve, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Killerteve macrumors newbie

I don't frequent these forums but I browse the site occasionally and I knew I would get a quick reliable answer for my question. I'm looking to get a dual 2.8ghz in the next 6 months and I am afraid to repeat my last mistake: I bought the original G5 tower with a single 1.8ghz then a month later the dual 1.8 came out for the same price. So my question is, when is the next generation of Mac Pro coming out? Should I be worried about screwing myself again or will the current generation maintain for a while? :apple:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

January at MacWorld 2009. No sooner, possibly later.

3. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

People will always tell you, if you need it now, buy it now. It is a great computer.

The MacRumors Buyers Guide says you shouldn't buy, and that they will be updated rather soon: "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle"

P.s You didn't get done that bad last time, your single 1.8 would have 8 RAM slots, while the dual 1.8 that replaced it had only 4 :eek:

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I've been planning to hold off until the Nehalem-based units ship in 2009, but the current model is so powerful that I'm weakening every day towards getting one now.

5. Killerteve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info guys. Good point about them being so powerful now that it doesn't really matter. Your right the 1.8 I have is great but when Snow Leopard comes out I'll need an Intel machine.

6. HighContrast* macrumors newbie

I am buying one soon.

The way i see it is...

Nehalem is 20% faster , as early benchmarks show. But with such a powerful machine, do you need that 20%?

You could wait till 2009 , but you can bet your bottom dollar Intel will bring a successor out to the original Nehalem chip quite quickly. Look at Intel Core Duo, and how fast the 2 edition came out.

Also, you will never have the latest and greatest for that long, they get updated way to quick for that.

7. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Yes the speed bump will be nice when they update the chip but, as others have said, with a machine this powerful, what kind of work are you doing that will really be affected by even a 20% speed bump?

The mac pro they have now is a great machine so if you need it, buy it and don't let yourself fall into buyer's remorse.

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

And with the new overclocking tool ZDNet Germany has released, your eight-core 2.8GHz Mac Pro can perform even better.

9. Killerteve thread starter macrumors newbie

If the new generation is coming out soon should we expect a drop in prices in the next few months? I can live without the 20% extra power from the new chip, but are there any expected major differences in the new machine hardware or otherwise? (for instance my G5 has PCI but not PCI express so when my graphics card died I was stuck replacing it with another AGP card)

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Drop in prices? Sure... once the Nehalem Mac Pro is out in January.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hmm....Seems familiar! :D

An official price list for Gainestown chips might help. ;)

12. Killerteve thread starter macrumors newbie

K a final question question before I pull the trigger. Will there be any new graphics options at 512mb released before the end of September that would make their way into the Mac Pro that would be worth waiting for? Currently I plan on getting the 8800GT 512mb.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 3870 Mac Edition just came out. That's going to be it, though.

14. xix macrumors member

The people giving you dates that it will come out have no idea. The Mac Pro will receive a major update when new processors (nehalem) come out.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We're telling the people in question WHEN the two possible Nehalem processors come out. That's pretty much as close to a proper launch date as is possible with Apple.

Q4 '08 for Gainestown means that if Apple goes with them, we'll see a silent update right before MacWorld 2009.

Q2 '09 for Beckton means that if Apple goes with them, we'll see an announced update at WWDC 2009.

16. osin macrumors 6502

announced update at WWDC 2009 doesn't mean that new Mac Pros will be ready to ship, right? it can take some time, about a month. this will mean that there is more than 6 months for next update...

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

"Shipping Today!" is Apple's most common motto. At any rate, the two processors will have been announced long before either of the Stevenotes.

There will definitely be no update until at least January, though.