WTB New Macbook but maybe i should wait

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Telescreen, May 6, 2009.

  1. Telescreen macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    #1
    I'm looking into buying my first Macbook and i'm a little stuck:(. The Buyers Guide Says "Neutral - Mid product cycle." Is that 6 months or 6 weeks before a new hardware release? I have people telling me to wait for the new hardware updates for the Macbook. I know there is no way of telling a release date. I just want to know if I'm waiting 2 months or 6 months. What do you think would be the smart choice? Wait or Buy?:confused:
     
  2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

    NewMacbookPlz

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    #2
    Any new hardware would most likely be 'released' at the upcoming WWDC June 8-12.

    If you need it, buy. If not, wait. The update will most likely be minor, small bump in CPU speeds perhaps and larger hard drives I'd wager.
     
  3. Telescreen thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
  4. joe.cavers macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    #4
    To put this in perspective, I had the money ready to buy a Macbook Pro before the Unibodies came out. I waited to see if the new models were any better when the old ones would've done spectacularly. The new ones came out, the MBP's were out of my price range and firewire (a necessecity for Pro Tools, the reason I was buying a new laptop) had been removed from the MB's, meaning I was forced to buy an Early 08 MBP.

    If it does what you want it to do, buy it now. That way you know that it will work, and there won't be any surprises down the road.

    My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

    JC
     
  5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

    Digital Skunk

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2006
    Location:
    In my imagination
    #5
    There are a lot of buyers who do this. I learned this from my father actually, and it's served me VERY VERY well. So, yes OP, check out what we are saying.

    If you need it now no questions asked then get it now and get work done.

    If you can afford to wait, or waiting gets you more cash to work with then wait. When the new models do eventually come, now you have a choice between buying a NEW machine, or shaving off a little on the price (15% - 30% at times) by getting an older model that is refurbished and still VERY eligible for all the Apple Care benefits and some rebates/instant savings.

    The only thing you miss out on is the pretty box.

    My fiancee's machine is down and out, and she was looking at the new Macbooks. Luckily, we don't have the cash, so we are saving up and waiting, and are expecting a winter purchase date, so that means new models, and maybe a big holiday sale.
     
  6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

    NewMacbookPlz

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    #6
    64bit what? All Core2Duo macbooks are also 64-bit enabled in hardware. If you mean Snow Leopard, then perhaps they'll announce a launch date, but I doubt they'll launch the product in June.
     

Share This Page