Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardgame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Alexandria, VA.
I was just reading an article about a new IBM supercomputer making it on to the June 2004 HPC Top500 supercomputer site. I went and checked out the list and noticed that Virginia Tech's Apple supercomputer had been REMOVED FROM THE LIST!!! According to the Top500 list on 11/2003, the VT supercomputer was number three with a R rating of 10.28TFlops and a Rmax of 17.6TFlops. If you look at the 2004 list, these numbers make the VT system 4th or 5th on the list. WHERE THE F is it! Why has it been removed? Does anyone know? This has got to be an outrage!!

Mark :confused:

http://www.top500.org/list/2004/06/

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Because they dismantled it to rebuild it using XServes. In fact for a while you could even buy one of the actual units used in Big Mac.

cardgame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Alexandria, VA.
Apple Supercomputer

kgarner said:
Because they dismantled it to rebuild it using XServes. In fact for a while you could even buy one of the actual units used in Big Mac.

Well I guess that makes sense, but the article made a big deal about no apple server on the list. Kind of sounds like they are taking a pot shot during a transision just to make a point against Apple. You just got to hate some people...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
cardgame said:
Well I guess that makes sense, but the article made a big deal about no apple server on the list. Kind of sounds like they are taking a pot shot during a transision just to make a point against Apple. You just got to hate some people...
Which article. The link you provided only had the list.

Anyways, Apple really screwed the pooch on this one. Allegedly, they told VaTech that they would have X-Serves ready for them. So VaTech goes and dismantles the sucker. Then Apple delays the G5 X-Serves for months and months.

If Apple had shipped the X-Serve on time, they probably would still be on that list. I hope that the Big Mac wasn't scheduled to do any important tasks ... like coming up with the question whose answer is "42".

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
cardgame said:

They made a big deal about it because they knew people would be asking. Would you rather not know?

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I'm sure there's the limited space issue, but why would they dismantle it so soon? It seems like it hasn't been that long since they built it. Or are they selling the PowerMacs to offset the cost of the Xserves?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Like ftaok said, they were told that hte XServes would be available by a particular date, but they were delayed. Unfortunately, they decided to dismantle ahead of time (possibly to recoup costs) but were left waiting for the delayed XServes.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
The upgraded supercomputer is up and running. They are still doing some preparatory work right now but plan to have benchmarks ready for the next top500 list this fall. So look for them to be on the list but don't expect them to hold onto number three as several other powerful supercomputers are just coming online also. Probably still in the top 10 though.

As a form of apology maybe Apple will wind up donating a few extra Xserves to help them pump up their performance or some PowerMacs and Powerbooks for development work. It would be tax deductible and it could help mend relations for future purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.